Out of Area??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
alfie2

Out of Area??

Post by alfie2 »

Hello

Parent of a year 5, we have recently moved to Yalding, between Maidstone and Tonbridge. Our child is staying at her old primary as it didn't seem worth moving her so late in her primary.

However, have just discovered that Yalding is "out of area" for all grammars, whether Tonbridge or Maidstone, because it falls within the catchment for Paddock Wood which has Mascalls the comprehensive.

Tonbridge Girls have told us that we would only be eligible for a "governor place" (obviously dependant upon a good 11+ score next year). In fact the teacher we spoke to said we would have more chance if we lived in anywhere else except this particular area.

Anyone else heard of this?
Alfie
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

I wouldn't worry too much; I know kids from Yalding who attend the Maidstone grammars. They don't seem to have a problem getting places provided they pass the 11+. MGGS is popular with the girls as it is an easy train ride from Yalding to Maidstone Barracks.
As regards TGS, the out-of-area cut off score is sometimes lower than the in-area score (as it was a couple of years ago) so you won't necessarily need a higher score than someone in-area. It may even be lower!
2stressed

Post by 2stressed »

I live in the Paddock Wood area and my DS goes to MGS. He had no problem getting in and even got a bus pass on appeal!! Lots of children from these areas get in - hope so anyway as its DDs turn this year :shock:
alfie2

Post by alfie2 »

Thanks guys. I was beginning to think I might regret moving to Yalding.
Alfie
georgex

out of area

Post by georgex »

My daughter got 408 in Kent test we are out of area would this score get her in to TOGS?
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

Hi again Georgex

I have just answered you on the other thread about Newstead but did not read this first! Obviously the cut off changes each year for TOGS but based on past history, I think it looks quite likely. The lady in admissions at TOGS told me that last year the out of area score eventually dropped to 403 and some years it has been even lower. Which did you put first TOGS or Newstead?
georgex

newsteadwoods exam

Post by georgex »

WesterhamMum wrote:Hi again Georgex

I have just answered you on the other thread about Newstead but did not read this first! Obviously the cut off changes each year for TOGS but based on past history, I think it looks quite likely. The lady in admissions at TOGS told me that last year the out of area score eventually dropped to 403 and some years it has been even lower. Which did you put first TOGS or Newstead?
We put Newstead 1st as it's our local but if she does'nt pass I understand her 2nd choice will be her 1st.
alfie2

Post by alfie2 »

Does anybody know how the cut off score for those in area compares with the cut off point for those out of area and therefore applying for Governor Places at Tonbridge Girls Grammar?

We are definitely out of area, although we are only a few miles (as the crow files) from the school!
Alfie
starlight

Post by starlight »

I can only say that last year, children at our school were out of area, original first round cut off for governor places was 411, children got in on appeal later with scores around 407 which I think was cut off score. Don't know what the in area cut off score was and I think last year they took more than they usually do (minimum is 35 every year), possibly up to 40 but I am not sure. Hope that helps.
shuff

Post by shuff »

I know someone 2 years ago who got into TGS with 401, she was out of county and this was on appeal. l also know a boy who got into Judd 2 years ago who didn't pass. He failed one of the papers by 1 mark. He is a very good cross country runner, and I think they probably saw that as a benefit for the school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now