Pass Marks?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

Stripyem

Top marks are 140 in each subject.

Congrats to your DD. She is obviously very clever.
cindy

Post by cindy »

this is a real can of worms........

140 in each paper is the top mark available,.... However this only equals
75% of questions answered right.

They use a very complex formula, which is refered to in previous years
posts on the subject. involving such variables as how many children took it this year and how they performed.

However you can contact the local education office at the council and they will supply you with a raw score. This is something very different, and will
show you out of questions given, how many were done right.
tremplus

Post by tremplus »

I think that part of the problem is that everyone has their own ideas and not any grasp of the facts. As the spouse of a high ranking insider of the application and appeals process I will try to put some of the rumours to rest.
1. the pass mark is is NOT an average of all three scores. you have to get 120 120 115 in any combination for the three tests. Maths/VR/Non-vr. So for example a set of scores 121 135 116 will be a pass. however a set such as 140 140 114 will not pass because you have not gained the sufficient marks in each test. It has NOTHING to do with the average!!!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

tremplus wrote:I think that part of the problem is that everyone has their own ideas and not any grasp of the facts. As the spouse of a high ranking insider of the application and appeals process I will try to put some of the rumours to rest.
1. the pass mark is is NOT an average of all three scores. you have to get 120 120 115 in any combination for the three tests. Maths/VR/Non-vr. So for example a set of scores 121 135 116 will be a pass. however a set such as 140 140 114 will not pass because you have not gained the sufficient marks in each test. It has NOTHING to do with the average!!!
I think as the Spouse of a high ranking insider you may wish avail yourself of the opportunity to get your facts up to date. It is my understanding that, this year, to "pass", it is necessary to obtain a cumulative score of 360 and a minimum score of 114 in any paper.
tremplus

Post by tremplus »

I think that your words sum it up.
'It is my understanding'.
After reading many people's posts on the forum I was just trying to set one small record straight. it is not my understanding, it is a fact that the 'pass' mark is NOT an aggregate score nor is the minimum 114.
The successful pupil must score 120 120 115 in the three tests!
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

tremplus wrote:I think that your words sum it up.
'It is my understanding'.
After reading many people's posts on the forum I was just trying to set one small record straight. it is not my understanding, it is a fact that the 'pass' mark is NOT an aggregate score nor is the minimum 114.
The successful pupil must score 120 120 115 in the three tests!
You area little sarky aren't you.

Carrying on with the sarky theme then, my DS failed because he got 123, 126 and 118, which is not 120 120 and 115.

In reality what you are saying is that the pass mark is 355 as long as you get 120 120 and 115 or more.

Obviously someone on this forum got it terribly wrong with the combined score of 360 and no less then 114 in any subject.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

bigrob - your son's scores are very confusing as I would have thought that was a definite pass. The info we had from our school was that to be placed in a grammar category, a pupil has to achieve an aggregate score of 360 or more, with no single score lower than 114. This does not add up for your son, who clearly fulfills this criteria. Have you been given the correct scores?
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

kentmum1

Yes he did pass. I was being sarcastic with Templus as I thought his tone was sarcastic dadofkent.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

this is getting personal. May I remind you of the forum rules.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=148
travelling man

Post by travelling man »

Going back to some of the earlier comments.

The fact that the exam is earlier should be handled by the standardisation process. So being in September all the children would get more allowance for their ages and if the science (?) behind the standardisation is thorough then this would counteract the earlier exam overall.

The only caveat should be that this year the date was brought forward at short notice so some material may not have been covered, especially for maths. I have a suspicion that is why the maths paper is reported to have been easier this year.