good news for fellow lurkers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

These raw scores sound very familiar to our last January '07 test, where DS got 33/50 on the maths, with a score of 127 - October birthday, so no leeway. Also he got 140 NVR with 55/72 and 140 VR with 13 wrong - I can't remember what it was out of!
marbeth

Post by marbeth »

shuff

It is interesting that 1 mark made the difference in maths. When was your son born. Our son's birthday is January.
shuff

Post by shuff »

He is April 30th, another day and he might have had an extra mark! Kentmum where did your DS end up going to school? He got the same score as mine.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

We looked at Skinners' and TWGSB and he chose TWGSB. His friend is at Skinners' and he got 408. We wanted a Tunbridge Wells school. I would have thought your son will be fine for Skinners'. I have a friend who son wants to go there with a score of 409. I know of two boys who have applied to Judd with a score of 420 and 417. What are your options if you can't get Judd or Skinners' - are you out of area for anything else?
shuff

Post by shuff »

We are out of county so relying on scores. We have put down Judd (his eldest sister is at TGS so it would be better all round and he loved the school) then Skinners, then TWBG. I know we don't stand a chance of Boys Grammar but I feel confident enough that he will get into one of them, even if it comes to appealing. Worst case senario, he can get into our local school because his sister is there. I think this waiting game is awful, almost prefer the old way of getting it all on the same day.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

However, I do wonder whether he had got his score first, he would have chosen Skinners' after some strong persuasion from his friend! However, they see each other daily and we have found their achievement to be very similar so far and both seem to be working at similar levels.
shuff

Post by shuff »

I was most impressed with Boys Grammar when we looked round and very impressed with the Head. It seems an all round school, finding the best in all the boys, even if it isn't academic. If we were nearer I would definitely put it first.
I do wonder if knowing the scores first will alter how people fill in their forms this year.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I am sure it will definitely have some impact. However, there will always be other factors, siblings, distance, etc. I have personally found TWGSB to be as academic as I would have expected from a grammar school. There are certainly high expectations with continuous assessment tests, etc, which really seem to keep my son focussed and competitive. However, I do feel the Head does not want exam results to come across as their sole focus and is keener to promote the whole school experience.
wardie

Post by wardie »

tonbridge mum,

Interesting comparing raw scores because my DS also had a raw score for maths of 29/50 and his final mark was 124.

He is Feb born.

Therefore it looks like your DS was given one more point for age.

It all makes very interesting reading !!

love wardie :D
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Hmm. So one more point for the months feb to june...i thought it would have been 2. It all seems a bit complicated and you just have to trust that the markers/adjusters all know what thet are doing at the time :wink:
Interesting though Wardie for years to come i guess!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now