appeals in kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JC

appeals in kent

Post by JC »

Hi My Daughter scored good results in the kent tests VR 138 NVR 123 but dreaded maths 113 so technically failed! We are of course appealing. We are discussing it with our HT but would like comments from anyone as to if they think these scores give her a good chance? :?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Well your dd obviously done well on the VR and NVR and her total score was above the required combined score, so its just the 1/2 points under the math.
IMHO I am rather surprised she didnt get thru on HT appeal, but I definitely think you should appeal in March. The first thing I suppose you need to find out is why the HT appeal failed - what area of your daughter's submitted work concerned the appeal panel?
It sounds like you have a good chance to me, there are never any guarantees I know but you can't get much closer than your DD did.
Good luck :)
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Gosh JC, so sorry - that dreaded one point. My son 'failed' by one point too, but luckily HT appeal was sucessful. Grounds were that he missed on his strong subject, NVR, and so there was plenty of evidence, including consistant NFER scores since year 3 of high NVR(over 125). Also, class work that showed good ability, particularly in writing and maths.
The creative writing was used, so ask your DD what she wrote about.... :wink:
By the way, if you email KCC you can get lots of info. They will tell you raw scores and confirm actual scores. Also, you can make an appointment to go in to see the papers (you cant take them away!) but then you can see if your DD finished them.
Finally, you can see notes of the HT appeal (if you had one!). Our HT used the fact that our son had NOT finished any of the papers so this IS obviously taken into account in appeal.
Hope this helps.
JC

Post by JC »

Thanks Mum's - encouraging. We are seeing HT to see what they have done next week so fingers crossed. We still have Newstead in Orpington to go at but its highly selective and won't know until March if she has passed. :!: