Halp needed on admissions criteria for TWGSB?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

My children are at St John's and last year (ie, current Year 7) there were about five boys who went to Hayesbrook and a number have put it down as first choice this year. Also my neighbour's sons (now about 18 and 15) went/go to Hayesbrook and got in without any problem. Someone told me that Hayesbrook (and Hillview) did have a policy of only taking TW children from Bidborough adn Southborough schools but that is obviously not true now.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

TWGSB does take on distance, rather than score and usually extends out to Sevenoaks. All the boys grammars are usually heavily oversubscribed.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

oh kentmum1! So, if too many boys...where will they go? Getting twitchy now.... :shock:
shuff

Post by shuff »

kentmum1 wrote:TWGSB does take on distance, rather than score and usually extends out to Sevenoaks. However, this looks set to change a little in the coming years and as they are likely to become a Foundation school and possibly make it fairer for those out-of-county by giving an all-round distance from the school, rather than just Kent. This may take a few years though. I do know (for definite!) that they have had to turn down a lot of applications of those who have passed this year. All the boys grammars are usually heavily oversubscribed.
Are you talking about TWGSB having to turn down applications? How do you know this and do you know anything else about this years allocations? Sorry, I'm getting twitchy too!
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Don't forget there are waiting lists and appeals which significantly change the 1 March allocation picture. Presumably this person knows someone in Kent admissions who has informed them that many people who put down TWGSB first will not receive it in the first allocation on 1 March. Is this any different from previous years?
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Heard through the parental grapevine.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

The applications have significantly increased this year.
shuff

Post by shuff »

Any talk of the cut off scores for those schools? It's a long shot but I thought I'd ask anyway!
shuff

Post by shuff »

I don't think it is any different to any other year, there are just more children. There will probably be the same amount of high scorers just more bulk!?
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Yes, I think you are right, I am sure the bulk of extra children may be those who were more borderline and might not have otherwise tried the 11+ and may have lower scores. However, I also think there may be the risk of those getting unexpectedly high scores and perhaps being swayed or persuaded to go for a super selective when they might not have done. I would hope this is not the case though as this is not the best way of selecting a school, simply based on a score, when there are many other factors to take into account. I am sure you will be ok - not too long to go now!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now