How did you get on with your offer?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tired_dad_2008

Post by tired_dad_2008 »

WesterhamMum wrote:Was 407 for in area? The only 3 from my daughter's school all got full marks so I don't know. I have a friend who did not get in on 401.
That was in-area, yes. The 5 girls from my son's school all got full marks too so I can't give any anecdotal evidence beyond what I was told by a disappointed parent from a different school.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Trying to find out some information for a friend.

Spoke to her today and found out that none of the girls at my son's school got into the grammar - apparently only those with siblings already there and one that lived closest to grammar got in.

Grammars are in Ashford.

Does anyone know if this is how it usually works? Or do you think the school has changed its allocations due to more entrants because of credit crunch and knowing results before having to say which school you want.

My friend said that the school only look at scores at appeals and her daughter got the highest score you can get, so is very hopeful. I don't know if this is how it works as I am new to 11+ and my son will take it this year, hopefully!!

Obviously they are going to appeal and the headteacher at the school is also very upset that none of the girls got in and is backing them for an appeal.

All the boys that passed 11+ got into the boys grammar, which is further away than the girls grammar.

Thanks in advance for anyone who might be able to help.
marbeth

Post by marbeth »

Hi Twinkles

All the girls in my son's class who passed got into Highworth. Does your friends daughter go to a primary school in Ashford?
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Hi Marbeth,

No, the school is about 12 miles away - the nearest grammar school is Highworth though.
wonderingmum

Post by wonderingmum »

Hi Twinkles,
Sorry to hear about your friend's daughter.
I am surprised as I didn't think Highworth was oversubscribed..I suppose they must be if your friend put them down on the SCAF and still didn't get in(?)
Has she phoned them to see what the cut off distance/catchment is?
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

No I didn't think Highworth was oversubscribed either from what I have heard it hasn't been before this year.

I know she has rung Highworth and she said they said she stood a good chance on appeal but she didn't say if she asked what the cut off distance was or not.

Girls have got in before from the primary school so it must be that they have had loads more apply this year. There are quite a few private schools in the area isn't there so I think with the recession parents have opted to go to Highworth rather than continue at private school. Which, unfortunately, isn't good news for those that live further afield.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Have heard it reported that out-of-area cut-off for TGS was 412.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now