BODMAS question

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Surferfish

Re: BODMAS question

Post by Surferfish »

Agree that 76 is the correct answer using BODMAS.

As Toadmum pointed out 205 is the answer you would get if you DIDN'T use BODMAS (other than the bracket) and just worked left to right. So a bit concerning if that is the answer in the book.

(BTW, does anyone know what has happened to Guest55? She seems to have gone AWOL recently - along with Amber. Hope they're both OK!)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I seem to remember some years ago, someone asking GL about BODMAS and posting the response here. Some DCs will be taught it and others won’t be, so how do you account for it in the test, without being unfair to one set or another.

Their response was along the lines that the question would be set in such a way that if a child used BODMAS or went simply left to right and did the operations in the order shown, it wouldn’t matter and they would arrive at the same answer.

It’s quite a while ago and I suspect I’d struggle to find it now.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Possibly this thread https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =3&t=15371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

That one is before my time, but I think it may have been referred to later in a thread I might have since and even commented on.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

blimey, 9years ago!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Wimbles wrote::lol: - I was up all night thinking about this blasted question - really should let Bond know!!
Please do let Bond know.

Over the years I have emailed a variety of publishers telling them have made errors in their 11 plus tests/books.

Patricia