Maths, a timetable from here

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

OxonMum3

Maths, a timetable from here

Post by OxonMum3 »

Hello all, my son is in Y5 and I would like to prep him for the indy school exams next January. We don't intend to use a tutor, just books and past papers. We have done various such as schofield & sims, CGP KS2 sats buster and recently I purchased bond past papers but don't really want to do these yet. Has anyone come across good books for practise of subjects such as fractions, geometry etc where he can focus on one subject at a time in depth. I think I need something that is Y6 stretchy but can't find anything on amazon.

Also when is a good time to do past papers, I don't want to start too early. He has been fine with the VR and NVR bond books age 10-11. Is it advisable to be solid on the 11-12 ones or are they geared towards children working for the 13+ exams?

Thank you
KaB£H1s3

Re: Maths, a timetable from here

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

OxonMum3 wrote:Hello all, my son is in Y5 and I would like to prep him for the indy school exams next January. We don't intend to use a tutor, just books and past papers. We have done various such as schofield & sims, CGP KS2 sats buster and recently I purchased bond past papers but don't really want to do these yet. Has anyone come across good books for practise of subjects such as fractions, geometry etc where he can focus on one subject at a time in depth. I think I need something that is Y6 stretchy but can't find anything on amazon.

Also when is a good time to do past papers, I don't want to start too early. He has been fine with the VR and NVR bond books age 10-11. Is it advisable to be solid on the 11-12 ones or are they geared towards children working for the 13+ exams?

Thank you
Kumon is good.
Grade 5 is age 10 to 11, Grade 6 is age 11 to 12
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1933241608/ ... YMMP94FDMP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1934968668/ ... H6JWTMCEFT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Agree with Kumon but it can be a bit boring. Depends on your child. We got tables up to speed with Squeebles number race app. Daily mental arithmetic practice.

We started with one of the Bond maths books that covers the whole curriculum with short exercises. That worked great for DC1 but not DC2 who has a few places where we need more practice.

We bought a Galore Park “So you really want to learn maths” which goes topic by topic with exercises at the end of each section and subsection. We use Bond 10 minute tests to do regular practice and find gaps. Then use galore park to fill in learning.

So you need to play about a bit to find what works for your child.
Good luck
Surreyav

Post by Surreyav »

Thanks exam2019

If you don't mind, could you please direct me towards where you purchased the "So you really want to learn math" book 1. I have looked at the samples and they look good but have not been able to locate where I can buy it. In amazon, I found a used copy but nothing new.

Thank you in advance.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

We found ours on Ebay - we briefly had a tutor during lockdown who got us to buy a copy. The tutor didn't last but the book has stuck with us!