Struggling with Maths. Guest55 - Any thoughts?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Milla wrote:
jellybaby wrote:Also, I wish they'd run a "course" of an hour or so, explaining how they teach.
My DC's school run a maths evening for y5/y6 parents. Explain the curriculum for the year, and then we all go off for 3 or 4 classes with the Maths teachers, and do lessons in the different operations.Very good evening, although he desks and chairs were a bit uncomfortable.

I share your views on chunking.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd's school also offers lessons to parents on today's teaching methods.

I also share your views on chunking - and so does DD now that she has learnt to do it the good old fashioned way!!
NEW2THIS

Post by NEW2THIS »

That's truly inspiring CG0202. My DS could do with some extra help in Maths and English, he isn't struggling - but I know he could do better!
CG0202, can I ask which area you live in? I'm trying to find a tutor.
CG0202

Post by CG0202 »

Hi NEW2THIS - We are in Surrey so can't help on the tutor front i'm afraid. Just make sure it's one that your DS connects with and the learning will take care of itself! I have also been backing up the work my DD has done with her tutor at home.
We just got her official Year 5 optional test result for the KS3 Tier 5-7 paper .... she got a 7a!!! (So proud :D )
The school are now working with us to give my DD extension work and she absolutely loves her Maths!
We are going to take a break from tutoring for a while and expand the logical thinking & problem solving!
Good Luck with finding the "Right" tutor. :)
Milla

Post by Milla »

Well done to your daughter!
CG0202 wrote: We are going to take a break from tutoring for a while and expand the logical thinking & problem solving!
can you let me know if you have any source material to work from for this. Problem solving, particularly in stages, is something I'd like to go over with my boy.
thanks.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Agree that you can get huge progress by taking matters into your own hands, but I think most people could do it themselves rather than resorting to a tutor. Just 10 or 15 minutes most days gives great results in my experience. Primary school maths isn't that hard that you need to resort to a tutor to explain it. Most children will get the gist from school anyway, but brushing up and extra practice with you makes all the difference.

I learnt to do long division in 1978 - I can still remember the satisfaction when it clicked. But I am pretty sure the method we used was "chunking", although we didn't call it that at the time. So I am interested to hear that there is another older and better method. Can anyone supply a link that explains the better method? (I know there is a quicker method for simpler division)
Milla

Post by Milla »

http://www.mathsisfun.com/long_division.html
this explains the way I learnt.
It looks more complicated than it actually is possilby.
fm

Post by fm »

Having taught in 1978, I doubt you were using chunking because I have only recently had it explained to me!

But, as a tutor, I do agree tutors are not needed to improve a primary school child's maths. The reason we are in business is that parents either haven't the time, the inclination or, most often, the patience to work with their children. I would never say to one of my pupils 'I don't understand why you don't get this. I have told you umpteen times now' but those words have fairly frequently tripped off my lips in the case of my own children. Similarly none of my pupils would throw their book across my study and stomp out!
CG0202

Post by CG0202 »

Hi Milla - I have been recommended this website for the more able http://nrich.maths.org/public/index.php

I have put a considerable amount of time in supporting my DD at home and there is no doubt that this has been crucial to her develoment. I personally chose to engage the help of a tutor because it was a set weekly discipline - too easy to find other things to do at home than to expect my DD to sit with me for 45 minutes talking about Polygons and fractions.
I do agree though that parents can make such a difference just by spending 15 -20 mins a day on revision. :D
Milla

Post by Milla »

thank you, I'll go and take a look.
You seem to have a good balance, a tutor for the discipline, your own input and the belief that your child can achieve so much more than the dismal minimum aspired to at school. My boy comes alive when engaged in learning but, in a class of 34, the wheels move rather slow.