What level is this question in the maths curriculum?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

[quote="Guest55"]Cross multiplication should NEVER be taught as children use it when it is not appropriate:

ie x/4 = x/3 + 1

I still believe by using the cross multiplication in solving bewildered's problem i.e 1/x = 3/4 is correct and approprite.

Take your example, it will be inappropriate to use cross multiplication and should be explained to children why it is not appropriate.

x/4 = x/3 + 1

x/4 - x/3 = 1

3x/12 - 4x/12 = 1

3x - 4x = 12

x= -12
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You should not teach something that is not a general method - as a Maths teacher I avoid teaching 'tricks' as children forget when they are appropriate -
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

I really do not think cross multiply is a trick. This method is quite widely used even in this country. I cannot say anymore if you think this method is a trick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_multiply
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes it may be widely used - and often incorrectly - it works if you UNDERSTAND what you are doing.

I have had to reteach many children who have been given 'tricks' to solve specific problems -
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Sorry... still not convinced

1/(a/b) = b/a.

It's a mathematical fact; not a trick.
Animis opibusque parati
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

OK but you aren't a Maths teacher -

I know it work but so does 'adding a zero to x by 10' until you get to 8.7 x 10 :lol: :lol:

What you quote above is not cross multiplication -
moved

Post by moved »

I don't teach children to turn fractions upside down, I just liked the simplicity of a yr 6 child's approach, sometimes children can be beautifully intuitive.
mathsteacher

Post by mathsteacher »

Guest55 wrote:Moving - please don't encourage that method - it only works if there are two fractions equal ...
But these fractions are equal. Sorry I don't teach this low down, so maybe there is a reason why these fractions should not be treated as equal.
solimum

Post by solimum »

I agree with Guest55 that there is a danger in teaching children "tricks" (effectively shortcuts which work in certain circumstances) without some understanding of what the objects they are manipulating actually mean. An obvious danger in the examples above would be if one of the quantities could be zero - you could end up dividing by zero as in the fallacious proofs that 2=1 etc. They can carry hidden misunderstandings through for many years while apparently getting good marks - then when faced with higher level algebra it all seems to fall apart
mathsteacher

Post by mathsteacher »

I see the point with zero, obviously infinity is not a good solution. School teaching rather than university, I assumed that children would know this. Trying to adapt!!