Slowing down for the maths after learning speed for the vr

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Slowing down for the maths after learning speed for the vr

Post by Daogroupie »

So I got my dd to learn how to do one hundred vr in 45 minutes but now I need to slow her down for 50 maths questions in one hour. Any tips? She does not read the question properly and makes stupid mistakes. I need tranquillisers when I mark her papers!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Bribery, usually works. 5 mins off per wrong question from whatever she likes doing, after the test. Computer/TV time etc. :D
Also need an incentive for balance... Every point over x% gets 5mins extra.

Good luck!
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

If she finishes fast, she will then have time to check. Are there particular types of question she gets wrong? Then she'll know to check these first.

My DS (who also rushes madly through) almost always gets the first question wrong, however easy, so he knows to check this. Then I suggest he checks any blocks of similar questions, again because he tends to make mistakes there.

Another thing I've suggested to my DS is to underline important words when he reads the question. He often forgets the second part of the question by the time he's worked out an answer (eg when then answer calls for the change from ten pounds, rather than simply the total cost of the items!)

I've been allowing him ten minutes on the computer for if he hits a target score :D
moved

Post by moved »

Regarding the tranquilisers have you considered getting her to mark her own papers and then coming to you with the bits she doesn't understand. She will get used to seeing her own silly errors and will become frustrated with herself and then will seek your advice on how to tackle problems. (HOPEFULLY)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now