carol vorderman's new online maths tutoring

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks yoyo - like the free bit even better :wink:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

doodles wrote:Has anybody got any feedback on this now it has been going for a little while. The Yr 3 level seemed quite simple for my DC (I think - maybe I am missing something very possible!) do they assess the child individually?

Anybody found anything else?
Yes as I posted previously they will assess and give you a harder set of games/ exercises.For times tables I am sure there are free options but this is very systematic and accelerates in difficulty according to your child's progress.If you have concerns about your child's maths ( which perhaps you don't) , then this is worthwhile.
I have concerns about my daughter's teacher this year and this gives me peace of mind and she enjoys it. :D She actually said
"Mummy I didn't know maths could be this much fun" :shock:
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

My two (Yr1 and 4) have been doing the Maths Factor for about three weeks.

It's been very well thought out, the children like winning marbles for each homework, personalising their dashboards, playing the supporting games, seeing their sums total rise each time. It's very visual,colourful and varied so has kept their interest. They like winning the rewards (things like family bike ride, magazine, friend to tea, tune for ipod).

The Grand Genius Test at the end of each section makes them feel very proud of the work they have done (clever psychology!).

The work is not hard, but a good way of ensuring all their maths building blocks are in place / or practicing and reminding them of their basic maths skills. I still supplement with other more challenging work.

I like the way parents are kept fully informed with emails and video clips about every topic the children are studying. Parents see the percentage children have achieved each day. The fun games to print off and play with the children to support their current topic are very good.

The support team in the office are very efficient and respond quickly to emails. I asked for my children to be moved up to a higher level and they agreed to do so straight away.

It is basically similar to Kumon..... BUT a million times better!!! The Maths Factors is geared towards making numbers fun for children.

So far, I think it is very good.
:D