Heinemann MATHS word problem books

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11+ novice

Heinemann MATHS word problem books

Post by 11+ novice »

Has anyone used these Heinemann book for problem solving questions, DS is generally good in maths but has problems with worded maths questions, thus i want get these to give him the necessary practice to get used to worded maths questions. Can't find any reviews on the internet about them so anyone who has used these can they please give me some advise, it will be really appreciated. Infact any input of how to get my DS better at word problem solving will be very very helpful.
Looking forward to some advise.
pixiequeen

Re: Heinemann MATHS word problem books

Post by pixiequeen »

Hi

I haven't used the Heinemann books (aren't they the people who produce some of the work books children use in KS1?) but we are having a similar problem with a younger child and have ordered the first Schofield and Sims KS2 problem solving book. If it is any good I will let you know. With our eldest DD a fair amount of practice was required before she got the hang of it. I had to write some questions myself as there just doesn't seem to be much material around to practice with.

Having said that, another source is the KS2 Maths Sats papers. They are very problem based. If you search on google you should be able to find somewhere to download them free of charge.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

try google, there is a wealth of material available on t'net.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Hi 11+Novice,

I purchased Heinemaan's Word Problems Bk 6 for my son two years ago as part of his (Maths/ word problems) preparation for the KES exam in Birmingham.

I found the book very useful in that the questions were written well and handy in providing DS with lots of practice in a number of areas: money, time, measurement, percentages, ratios etc.

If you want really challenging questions, then the 'Maths Challenge' Book is good. My son also liked the 'Word Problem Year 6' by Rising Stars- New Framework Maths but as it was easier, I would often give him the book to complete independently whilst I marked his other work!

Schofield and Sims are really excellent books and are my absolute favourite. I've purchased and re-use the whole set regularly with all five of my DC.
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

Thank you so much for all your advise. I used to use Schofield and sims when DS was in yr1 but then we started doing bond so stopped doing those but i can see these books are excellent.

DIY Mum since you have recommended heinemann i will order/start with the word problem book 5 as DS is in yr 4. He is high ability maths but when he reads word problems he is just too careless, will not try and understand the question and seems he just misses out words( just lazy), so i want to make him do as many word problems so that he gets used to reading and understanding them. i loved the Rising Stars word problem books( just seen the sample pages) year 6 book i feel is too high for him but year 5 looks ok maybe want to start with year 4 book( can't decide!).

Also DIY Mum is the maths challenge book by tony gardiner? available in amazon very very difficult don't want to put him off.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

The Maths Challenge book that I was referring to is actually titled 'Challenge your pupils' by the Mathematical Association isbn: 0906588634.

Its very, very good. We started this when DC was in Y5 during the summer holidays. I wouldn't use it yet but if your child is talented in Maths then perhaps you could start on the 'easy problem' section now.

My daughter also doesn't read the question properly. It took me a while to work out whether it was a lack of mathematical ability or whether she just panics because she finds it difficult translating Mathematical jargon into symbols / operations etc.

Doing the Schofield & Sims books with her, one question at a time (with a whiteboard and different coloured pens at hand) really helped. They really are an excellent set of books.
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

Thank you DIY Mum for your excellent advise. The Schofield and Sims are very good I completely agree as i saw them today at the shops.Even the Mental maths were excellent, had a mix of everything ( i thought the English spelling one's were good as well)

Will order the maths challenge book soon, it seems to be out of stock everywhere, quite popular i suppose.

DS is exactly like yr daughter he panics when there are many things happening in the question, instead of a applying logic he gets nervous, then starts missing words and then it all goes wrong!

Thanks once again, we have started on schofield and will apply your method of teaching and making him understand!