Maths Question - Teacher incorrect?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

turtleglos

Re: Maths Question - Teacher incorrect?

Post by turtleglos »

:oops: :oops: Quite right, I forgot to multiply by 16. That ought to teach me to read the question properly before I begin! :lol: :lol:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

999 mum wrote:
stevew61 wrote:350g into 5000g
350x10=3500
350x4=1400
the answer I got is 14
So the recipe can be made 14 times (will leave 100 grams of flour - this will not make a complete recipe)

As each recipe makes 16 scones the total number of scones will 14 times 16 = 224

(PS I can see the logic of both answers, it depends on how you read the question)
Thank you mum 999 for your answer. I understand now how the other children in the class (or the teacher?) proceeded.
guest201 wrote:The question asks for how many scones not how many batches so imo you need to find out how much is needed for each scone then work out how many you can make with 5 kgs of flour.
That means that we can go further with mum999's calculations:

how many scones can we do with 100 gr of flower?
350 divided by 16 = 21.875 g is needed for one scone... so we can do 4 more scones...
So it makes 24 + 4=28 scones (what my DS calculated in class with the other method)

Now, I am relieved: the teacher was wrong, wasn't he? :evil: :evil:

Thanks everybody ! :D My son was accusing me to teach him wrong stuff!! :oops:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

JaneEyre wrote: how many scones can we do with 100 gr of flower?
Sorry!! :oops: :oops: I meant 'flour'! :roll:
seems that the homophones are getting on my nerves! Oh dear! :cry:
carolmiller

Post by carolmiller »

What? I am a builder and used to work in the glazing industry, the answer is 8. You can't cut 350mmx250mm panes from a leftover piece that is 300mmx1000mm can you.
Julian Cooper.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

carolmiller wrote: You can't cut 350mmx250mm panes from a leftover piece that is 300mmx1000mm can you.
Julian Cooper.
Hello carolmiller, :D

That’s interesting to try again to do the exercise after a while and verify if the method has ‘sunk in’.

When we cut the 8 panes, we have a rectangle leftover 30 cm X 1 m, don't we?
We then can still cut two more panes, but in the other direction as previously cut... and we still will have a leftover:
- A long strip 5 cm X 1 m (as we have just cut the two additional panes by taking the 25 cm from the 30 cm and the 35 cm from the 1m)
- A small rectangle 25 cm X 30 cm

At least, this is what I see when I draw the diagram (thanks for your advice, moved! Now on, I follow it conscientiously! :wink: )
minubht80

Post by minubht80 »

wombat1 wrote:Daughter's teacher has given this question and supplied answer that I believe to be incorrect. Be interested to have any expert opinions (won't give you teacher's answer or mine yet so as not to lead you down one path or another).

Q. How many panes of glass 35cm x 25cm can be cut from a sheet of glass 1m x1m?

Many thanks!
Hi Wombat1,

There are two approaches for this type of questions.

If the question include piece 35*25 should be a single piece(shouldnt have any join) then need to draw the diagram or else the simple maths division is the answer.

I think teacher is correct as he hasn't mentioned anything about the piece that it is joined or single, mathematical questions goes by simple division unless otherwise specially mentioned.

If this has been some logical reasoning then its diff

Regards
jmom
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now