how to work out people's age?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
paul

how to work out people's age?

Post by paul »

dear all,

could any body tell me how to work out people's age?

question 1: a man was born on 30 June 1900, he died on 29 June 1980. how old was the man when he died?

question 2: a man was born on 30 June 1900, he died on 01 July 1980. how old was the man when he died?

my answer to 1st one is 79 years old, to 2nd one is 80 years old? am i right?

are these right: if a penson lived x years and 6 months, his age would be (x+1) years; if he lived x years and 5 months, the age would be x years.
what kind of answer are they looking for in the 11+ exam?

another similar question: a building was built in 1980, how many years ago was it built? i would say 2005-1980=25 years ago. please tell me if i am wrong.

thanks.
Dr. Know

Rounding

Post by Dr. Know »

Dear Paul,

It's much the same as any other mathematics, you simply round according to the question's requirements. Thus if it is required to the nearest year then round up on values above 6 months.
paul

Post by paul »

dear Dr Know,

thanks for your reply. however i'm not convinced.

as this 11+ exam they treat children born between 1st sept 1994 ~ 31st august 1995 as 11 years old on 31st august 2006. according to your theory some of them should be 11 and some of them should be 12. why should children learn sth that is not put into use in real life?

paul
Dr Don't Know

Post by Dr Don't Know »

The age question was clearly a loaded question. Perhaps it should have specified "age in school years" ....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now