JMC 2011

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

LuluQueen

JMC 2011

Post by LuluQueen »

Hey all :)
How did your DDs/DSs do in the Junior Maths Challenge today?
Nicolette

Re: JMC 2011

Post by Nicolette »

My DS in P7 sat it as well. Didn't know he was sitting it till yesterday. I've asked him how it went and he said it was "fine". That is the sum total of his reponse .
Last edited by Nicolette on Fri May 06, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
copella

Post by copella »

Same, my son thought first bit easy, missed 3 questions, guessed one. However although we knew he would be chosen to do it not much notice. Heard you have to be very nerdy to get to the Olympiad bit. Son soooo not, too laid back.
Nicolette

Post by Nicolette »

I don't think my DS wants/cares to go on to the Olympiad either, he has enjoyed the challenges so far but he is really not that bothered about the result and neither am I.
Nicolette

Post by Nicolette »

Copella- Please share how you get this/any information out of your son. :)
copella

Post by copella »

Lol, I think I caught him at the right time ie he was eating and so distracted and couldn't remember to just grunt. :lol:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

DS said first 15 were fine, but he decided not to answer the last 6 or maybe even 7 as apparently you lost marks if you got them wrong. His reasoning was you only had a twenty percent chance of getting them right so unless he was absolutely positive he wasn't going to try. Bit of a shame as he won a medal in the final last year. Won't be in the final this year. :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

I thought it was quite an easy challenge this year, so may mean that the thresholds are high. Q. 25 was very time consuming, but not really hard. A few questions that needed careful reading. DD seems to think she did OK and although none of my pupils (not grammar school) got through to the Olympiad we will have a good number of certificates (I hope).

Here is the link to past papers if you want to have a look.

http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/individ ... challenge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LuluQueen

Post by LuluQueen »

Good to hear everyone :) hope your DCs all get certificates :D

moved, do you know the results already? In that case, does the school mark the papers? Many thanks for the link :)
moved

Post by moved »

I marked mine as I only had 10 taking the test. Most schools just send them off. I don't know the thresholds yet.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now