how do you work out which day of the week a date falls on?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

999 mum

Re: how do you work out which day of the week a date falls o

Post by 999 mum »

TP123 wrote: Just a quick question - so if they asked "which day of the week wuold be his/her 35th birthday" then instead of adding 5 would you add 8?
In this case yes, because the dob was in a leap year after feb.

Suppose the dob had been jan 2004, then there would be a leap year for the first birthday and the fifth. So allowances would have to be made for where in the four year cycle you were.
TP123 wrote:And if he/she was born on Monday and the remainder was 6 then would the birthday fall on Sunday.
Yes.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Was the day of the week that he was born on given?

If so,
1. then the number of days can be calculated by 21*365+5.
2. Divide the total by seven,
3. What ever the remainder is count on that many days of the week.

I think this would work, but I have not worked it out or checked it. (Sorry)

Hi, I am new to this forum. My DD is going through the 11+ process, and I wish I came across this forum much earlier :(

Maybe I can suggest a small change in the above method :

If so,
1. Calculate 'Number of Years + Number of Leap years' between the 'start date' and 'end date' ('21 + 5' in OP's example)
2. Divide the total by seven, (26 / 7 in the example)

As '365 remainder 7 is 1', you need to multiply with 1 instead of 365 to save time.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

999 mum wrote:
TP123 wrote: Just a quick question - so if they asked "which day of the week wuold be his/her 35th birthday" then instead of adding 5 would you add 8?
In this case yes, because the dob was in a leap year after feb.

Suppose the dob had been jan 2004, then there would be a leap year for the first birthday and the fifth. So allowances would have to be made for where in the four year cycle you were.
TP123 wrote:And if he/she was born on Monday and the remainder was 6 then would the birthday fall on Sunday.
Yes.
Thanks!
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

ConcernedDad wrote:Hi, I am new to this forum. My DD is going through the 11+ process, and I wish I came across this forum much earlier

Maybe I can suggest a small change in the above method :

If so,
1. Calculate 'Number of Years + Number of Leap years' between the 'start date' and 'end date' ('21 + 5' in OP's example)
2. Divide the total by seven, (26 / 7 in the example)

As '365 remainder 7 is 1', you need to multiply with 1 instead of 365 to save time.
Concerned Dad
I agree with you, and if I was doing it I would use your method. But I don't think my DCs would understand it yet, whereas working out the total number of days is something that they would.

I believe they should understand the logic of doing maths rather than the rules. (there have been too many times when they have said well teacher says so without any understanding)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now