Primary Mathematics Challenge Bonus Round

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

maddad

Primary Mathematics Challenge Bonus Round

Post by maddad »

DS did the Bonus Round paper today. He did his usual trick of not reading the questions properly and so made a couple of silly mistakes, but other than that I think he did well.

Did anyone else's DC take the paper and if so, how did they find it?
aliportico

Re: Primary Mathematics Challenge Bonus Round

Post by aliportico »

Yeah, my son took it. He's home educated, so I took the chance to look over it before sending it back, lol! Think he got 2 wrong. Looked about the same level as previous years, I thought. He got a gold medal last year, so I'm hoping he doesn't do worse this year :lol:
maddad

Post by maddad »

I think my son also got 2 wrong (he was allowed to take the question paper home afterwards). Not sure if that's good enough for gold - last year they were allowed 2 wrong (23/25), but the previous year only 1 wrong (24/25). There is an element of luck involved, since one small mistake can make a lot of difference.

Do you remember from last year roughly when the results come out?
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Just checked, and I found out on 15th March last year. Getting any medal at all is a brilliant result, silver will do fine :-)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I thought you could only enter through your primary school. Did you manage to get your own application form? DG
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

The MA agreed a few years ago to let home educated children enter - the group was set up online, with one person doing the coordinating and liaising, so all papers come and go through her :-) We pay for it ourselves, and the children just do it at home.

(If any HEor is reading this and interested, do pm me :-) )
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What about a Level 7Maths Year 5 boy who is in a school who does not do anything with him? Could his parents pay to enter him privately so he would get the chance to compete with other children? DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They could ask his school to enter him - it's very cheap.

Maths association website http://www.m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Guest55 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Yes, I would say ask the school. The papers are bought in packs of ten, so the parents could offer to but a pack I guess, if the school were reluctant. You need proof that your child is HEd to do it through the PMC HE group, it's not for schooled children.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I would ask the school too. Often it doesn't cross a schools mind that certain things may be possible. Reminds me of when I asked the director of music if DS could skip grade 2 flute and move onto grade 3. He said he didn't know if that was even possible as he'd never heard of such a thing being done. Mmm, and this coming from a director of music! :shock: