vocab for word problems

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

vocab for word problems

Post by fatbananas »

hello,
does anyone know of a 'list', or something like it, of vocab to look out for in word problems, and what their definitions are? I think it would help DS to be able to recognise phrases, just as he has to learn to recognise mathematical symbols; and I wondered if there was something already existing along these lines?

Thanks a lot!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Guest55

Re: vocab for word problems

Post by Guest55 »

You could create on together - that might be more useful.

Another idea is to rewrite the same question in different ways or get your DS to write his own questions.

For example:

Write a question for 34 + 17 = 51

There were 34 people on a bus. At a bus stop 17 people got on. How many people were on the bus altogether?

What other questions would give this calculation?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Guest55. I suppose I was nervous that I might miss something if I didn't have a 'ready made' list to hand, but I guess we could create one as we went through different word problem questions. And writing our own questions might actually be fun :) and help him feel he has some control over numbers, which might give him confidence.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - collcecting as you go through examples and making up his own will be more fun. He will probably remember it too!

Can he think what other words would have meant doing the same calculation?

For example in the bus question I could have asked. "How many people are on the bus in total" or "What is the total number of people on the bus", etc etc
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now