11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: More maths angst!

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Re the last sentence: I have no idea what you're talking about! :shock: :oops:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Try googling Pythagoras monochord experiment for a start.

There was a book I enjoyed as a child but it might not be in print any more. It was published by Scientific American and it was called the Science of Music.
Waiting_For_Godot

mystery wrote:Try googling Pythagoras monochord experiment for a start.

There was a book I enjoyed as a child but it might not be in print any more. It was published by Scientific American and it was called the Science of Music.
You enjoyed that as a child! :shock: :lol: :wink:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes :oops: and I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere unless DH has thrown it out. He works on the premise that if you've read it before why take up space on the shelves with it?

I was older than your son when I read it, but it might make some links for you between the maths and science and the music which you can secretly use to influence your son!!
Waiting_For_Godot

I'll definitely google it. Thanks :)
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

Is there an iPad at your disposal WFG? There's a great free app called Show Me. It turns the iPad into a little whiteboard, with a voice recorder. My 10yo was reluctant to show working, and couldn't always explain where an answer came from. And me standing over him wasn't going to help. With Show Me he enjoyed speaking and writing as he thought, and then I could watch the recording back later and see what process he'd used... And where he went wrong if necessary!
Waiting_For_Godot

Mindset wrote:Is there an iPad at your disposal WFG? There's a great free app called Show Me. It turns the iPad into a little whiteboard, with a voice recorder. My 10yo was reluctant to show working, and couldn't always explain where an answer came from. And me standing over him wasn't going to help. With Show Me he enjoyed speaking and writing as he thought, and then I could watch the recording back later and see what process he'd used... And where he went wrong if necessary!
That sounds intriguing, I'll look into it! :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't have an iPad but I'm still considering investing in one. I think when you get looking at the educational apps you will find an awful lot on there which might get an 11 year old to do some "work" that would not otherwise happen.

You can read about some of the apps on the web without having an iPad.

The one suggested above does sound fascinating.
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

I was looking for an example to show you... This is one that a friend showed me of her 7yo daughter using it. http://www.showme.com/sh/?h=CUi8OG0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; She is obviously with her girl as she prompts her a couple of times, but you can see how it could be used by a child working independently just as well :D
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

It's a lovely example. Why carry 'Fred'; is that just a name some people use for carrying the '1' to make it more fun for DC?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.