Mental Arithmetic Practice papers

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
toolate

Mental Arithmetic Practice papers

Post by toolate »

DS is 5 - heading for this Sept's exams. His maths is supposed to be his strong suit but recently I feel as though the mental maths is really tough for him. He used to be great as he did several years of Kumon, but since this has stopped (and 11+ has taken over) - he has definitely struggled. His timetables are great, and he is quite good at quite complex stuff - but sometimes fumbles over 11-4 or 17x3 -etc especially within the type I of VR.

Can anyone recommend a good mental maths book to provide perhaps daily top up of this stuff. I know he can do it when he is in practice.

Someone mentioned Schofield and Sims but I am not sure what level would be right. We are currently just finishing the Bond Book 1 of the 10-11 yrs.
Thanks
moved

Re: Mental Arithmetic Practice papers

Post by moved »

Schofield and Sims are very short little tests. I find them useful for the basic skills. The books are nice and cheap too.
copella

Post by copella »

Hi we completed books 4 and 5 of S and S. We also used the IPS 10 min tests ,but these were pretty easy for him. Nearer the time when we did not have enough time and he needed to concentrate on NVR and VR, just to keep his maths up I would just give him sections of actual papers to complete as well. Good luck with your preparation.
toolate

Post by toolate »

Thank you - have ordered 4,5 & 6 - possibly ambitious...but good to aim high..
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are lots of maths games on the internet that are free but excellent practice for arithmetic.

Look at Woodlands Primary for a start.