Primary Maths Challenge

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
coolmummm

Primary Maths Challenge

Post by coolmummm »

Dear all

I have posted very few on this forum, though had been lurking around for quite sometime. Unfortunately, I only found out about this fantastic forum once my DD's level 1 11 plus exams were over. But, no regrets, since this excellent forum was tremendously helpful for her level 2 grammar and all the indies. Thanks to all the members and kudos to the brilliant moderators- she got into our first choice school.

Now over to my question- anyone in there with experience of primary maths challenge in London burroughs? Is it a written paper or like a quiz? Is there a lot of time pressure? Where can I find any past sample papers?

Sorry to ask so many questions, DD brought a letter about this yesterday for the competition next week, I feel quite clueless, am working the whole 2 weeks, hence wouldn't be able to meet her teachers.

Any pointers immensely appreciated
Many thanks
penguin

Re: Primary Maths Challenge

Post by penguin »

Hi

the primary maths challenge is run by the Mathematical Association and some past papers can be found here

http://www.m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the challenge is done in November and a bonus round in February.

Maybe your daughter's school is doing an in-house thing perhaps using the above resources.

I would query it with them for your own peace of mind.
coolmummm

Post by coolmummm »

Thanks a lot, penguin. Seems that she is representing her school at the borough next week, maybe they did something earlier at school.

I am hoping that her Maths teacher will return my call.

Kindest regards
CM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It might be the team challenge ...
coolmummm

Post by coolmummm »

Sorry Guest55, what is the team challenge? DD is going with another child to represent the school- the teachers today told them that its going to be 'puzzles'

And thank you for your great compilation of the useful Maths websites- just came across it a short while ago- its simply amazing!!

CM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Well there are team maths challenges. At secondary they work in groups of 4 but at Primary it varies.

I suspect they will be given problems to work on together against the clock.

Glad you like my resources post, when I get a moment (probably the summer holidays) it will be updated as I know some of the links need updating.
coolmummm

Post by coolmummm »

OK, Thanks