CEM maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fatbananas

CEM maths

Post by fatbananas »

How does this differ from other 11 plus providers? Are they more word problems, or ask questions in a particular way? Or is it just a combination of every maths type question ever asked?!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Re: CEM maths

Post by mystery »

Bucks is moving to c e m multiple choice this September. At the moment some year 6 children who passed the old test seem to be trialling the new test. Somewhere in the mass of stuff on there a parent put what her dd had told her. It wasn't that much use but from it I had the impression that doing bond, schofield and sims etc would be good prep. I do not know to what level.

Bucks also had some kind of statement to parents from c e m that the test would assume knowledge of year 5 work. Bucks teachers seem to find this helpful - g 55 seems to know what this means. I find it unclear under the old national curriculum. Even under the new one it is not that clear as although, unlike the old one, it is set out year by year, this is just to be helpful apparently. The ks2 content has to be covered during ks2, that is the bottom line.

The kent paper will be different from the bucks paper, I presume, as kent has super selectives. I am making the working assumption that to have a chance of being able to have a stab at the majoritybofbthe questions it would be wise to be working at a good level 5 by the end of year 5.

The wider the variety of questions the better I think. My dd needs more work on the language of the questions than anything else. The more varied the styles she meets the better. Hey, it was cheaper when one could get the hand me down g l assessment papers and know that was the best practice one could get.

Maybe it would also be worth looking at the pitch and expectations level 4 and level 5 questions, and year 5 optional qca tests paper b. I think teachers feel that this paper, although it can give a level 5, contains very few level 5 questions. So then of course we have year 6 ks2 test papers too. At least a lot of that is free on the web, and it will help our children be ready to prepare for level 6 papers in year 6. Yum!

Our year 4 children will, I understand, be tested on the old syllabus at end of year 6 so far as I can tell.

I am just guessing in all of this.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

There's a big clue in that CEM call it "numerical reasoning" rather than maths. So if you anticipate half of the task being to work out what the maths is, rather than the maths itself being that hard you won't be going far wrong. So yes, worded questions, and data handling where they might need to extract the relevant supplied figures from a chart or graph, rather than just here's a sum, what's the answer, style questions. And multipart questions where there are several related parts, rather than all discrete ones.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

very like Sats papers ?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Do you think the big clue means that "shape and space" parts will not be tested ... well not as part of numerical reasoning anyhow?

Yes it's called numerical reasoning in Bucks. Will it be the same thing if CEM win the Kent contract? We won't know until KCC have agreed it with the winner will we? Later this year?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now