Need to know area of a circle?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
silverysea

Need to know area of a circle?

Post by silverysea »

For superselective, do they need to be able to calculate the area of a circle? Tutor did this today but I've not seen it in any test papers tried so far.
leanmeamum

Re: Need to know area of a circle?

Post by leanmeamum »

they give the formula for the area of a circle or the area, if there is a question involving it.

Maybe the tutor covered the topic just to show how it works so it is easy for the child
to see understand circles
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Ok that does help! It's all about familiarity I guess!
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

The answer unfortunately is "Yes" for superselectives. I have seen numerous examples in private school papers from previous years where this concept has been tested. It is not rocket science and there are only 2 formulas to remember.

Circumference : 2 X Pi X Radius (where Pi is 3.14 or 3 for approximation)
OR Pi X Diameter (as Diameter is twice the radius)

Area: Pi X (square of radius)

One example I remember from top of the head is:
1. Ben has a bicycle with a wheel of radius 1m, how much distance it covers in 10 turns

Using Pi = 3, the distance in one turn is the circumference i.e. 2 X 3 X 1 = 6m. Therefore in 10 turns, it will cover a distance of 10 X 6m i.e. 60m.

2. His grandfather "John" has a bicycle with a bigger wheel of radius 1.5m, how much additional distance it covers in 10 turns?
Using Pi = 3, the distance in one turn is the circumference i.e. 2 X 3 X 1.5 = 9m. Therefore in 10 turns, it will cover a distance of 10 X 6m i.e. 90m. The answer is "additional" distance i.e. 90-60 = 30m.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now