The nth term

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

The nth term

Post by Daogroupie »

I was astonished to see nth term questions in the Maths First Past the Post Papers. Is this now part of KS2 Maths? None of my student had any clue what it was. Any guidance on how to explain this simply? DG
laretta

Re: The nth term

Post by laretta »

The Wallington Girls test had the last few questions on nth term two years ago. No idea how to get a 10 year old to complete it. Personally I think it's ridiculous especially as 11+ should be testing to level 5.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I suppose if you have done number series and explaining the rules of the series, and some basic algebra, it all comes together.

Who sets the Wellington test - gl or cem?
laretta

Post by laretta »

It's Wallington in Surrey - the maths test is designed by the school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry that was my iPad that changed the spelling. How does a school set its own assessment test without any reference to the experts? I could devise a load of maths papers. But I would not like to say that placing the children in score order would really be saying anything very much about their relative mathematical aptitude. Does wallington produce any great mathematicians?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

First Past the Post papers have been newly created and sold by this website. They must have had a reason for including nth term questions? DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My DD did a bit about nth term in year 6 at school.
Tagore

Post by Tagore »

DG,
I have learnt an immense amount about the 11+ process from your informative posts. I hope this will help your students.

Nth term questions appear in various forms in Independent School Papers. With practice I find that students grasp onto the equation easily. However, recognising of when the Nth term equation should be used to find an answer is the difficult part.

Example :-
In a series of 3, 7, 11, 15, 19 you will note that each increment remains the same, 4. Thus the start of the
Nth term equation becomes 4n. Now, one has to ask oneself the question, how do you arrive at the first number of 3 when n is 1 (the first number)? 4n -1 would give you 3. Now try this on the 4th number say (i.e. n =4). 4n-1 = 16-1 = 15. It works.

The advanced stage of this deals with differing differentials and involves indices.

I hope this helps. Be rest assured that questions based on nth term appear quite regularly. See St. Pauls Sample Mathematics paper, Section C Q1 and Consortium Paper 1 2012, Q34.

Tagore
Incredibly grateful for all your help
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Tinkers wrote:My DD did a bit about nth term in year 6 at school.
I think my son did as well but he did the level 6 maths SAT paper
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Tagore, I am really glad to hear you found my posts helpful. Thank you for telling me. I hope your dd is getting excited about joining Year 7 and she is getting used to the blazer! I am grateful for your help. I shall do some trial runs on nth term questions with your strategy and see how I get on. I am a great believer that I can learn anything if I can find somebody who can explain it to me clearly enough. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now