Panic! What to learn?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkus-Pinkus

Re: Panic! What to learn?

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

There is a maths online learning programme called IXL I cannot extoll it's virtues enough. It goes through the maths curriculum year by year, giving instruction to parents as to how to teach methods, you can even practice as a parent. Children go through ech subject methodically, needing to do more questions if they get any wrong and once they achieve 90% a challenge is set to make them work at speed. They get rewards and medals for the work they complete, you get sent e-mails telling you what they have done and what they need to improve on.
My DDs school uses Mathletics, but it is rubbish in comparison.
mystery

Re: Panic! What to learn?

Post by mystery »

Thanks for that Tinkus Pinkus. I wasn't aware of that one. How flexible is it? Can the parent choose whereabouts to be in the topics and difficulty levels within topics or do you have to follow a set course? It's the latter that I find unbearable with many of these online thingies, no matter how good they are. Sometimes they offer the facility that you can phone the helpdesk and they can change where you are behind the scenes (the m*aths *factor by *arold *orderman) has this facility, but it's still not the same as being able as a parent to flip around to where you know you need to be, and choose the order of topics, and repeat bits if necessary etc etc.