Panic! What to learn?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SunlampVexesEel

Panic! What to learn?

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Firstly, I've never been to this section before... so Hi!

Years have passed since my earlier children sat the 11+ but now with my youngest child we find ourself faced with a test which now has a Maths element.

We have been sitting down and looking at some materials including her school studies, BBC bitesize and a revision guide I bought recently. I realised that the 11+ Maths could very likely cover topics from Yr6 that she has not yet covered so I thought I should have a look at the Syllabus. (I can do Maths, me.)

Anecdotal evidence suggests that we should look at material up to Level 6. (My daughter is already on track for Level 5+ at school) so I bought a specifically Level 6 revision guide.

After working through a couple of sections picked at random I've come to the conclusion that we might be learning the wrong thing!

In particular the revision guide had a section on Straight Line graphs i.e. y=mx+c and the various topics around that... e.g. plot the line, find the intercept, positive and negative gradients, etc etc.... but the more I think about it the more I think this can't possibly come up; indeed the only question I've seen was from a level 6 paper which asked if a particular point satisifed the line y=3x; nothing to do with finding m or c!

Any suggestions on what to learn? I really don't want to destroy my daughter's confidence teaching irrelevant GCSE maths to a 10 year old!

Thanks in advance
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Amber

Re: Panic! What to learn?

Post by Amber »

Is this for SATs? If so - don't do anything!

If not, have you got access to MyMaths? It is excellent and very user-friendly. If you have access it is through a school usually, and goes from level 1 or 2 right up to the whizz bang stuff needed for GCSE and maybe even beyond that.
And if not - ask Guest55!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Find out more about the test - we don't know which test so we are guessing as much as you!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It would be helpful if you told us which school you are applying for?
SunlampVexesEel

Amber wrote:Is this for SATs? If so - don't do anything!
Nope; Not worried about current school stuff at all.
Amber wrote:...have you got access to MyMaths? ...goes from level 1 or 2 right up to the whizz bang stuff needed for GCSE and maybe even beyond that.
Actually what I want to know is how far to go; and in particular where to stop!
Daogroupie wrote:It would be helpful if you told us which school you are applying for?
Tiffin Girls School

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
SunlampVexesEel

DD1 has access to MyMaths and we tried it. Very informative.

Thanks
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
mystery

Post by mystery »

Have you tried asking about tiffin in the right forum?
SunlampVexesEel

mystery wrote:Have you tried asking about tiffin in the right forum?
My question wasn't meant to be specific to any particular school; it was intended to ask what constitutes L6 Maths.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
moved

Post by moved »

You should look at finding the mean and finding an amount from a mean (how many apples in the fifth bag if mean is 9...).
Percentages, fractions, proportion of an amount/s.
Areas of composite shapes
Volume
Time tables
Lots of mathematical reasoning

This is not for Tiffin, but additional topics that I have taught in Essex where the maths papers are often tough. I used a variety of scholarship papers and Manchester Grammar's were good, but I haven't looked for years. If you start with some papers you will see the level of maths required and the topics that are normally assessed. HTH
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Habs Boys papers are good and on their website. The 'First Past the Post' Maths book is good too, with detailed answers at the back.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now