Percentage question first past post book

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pist

Percentage question first past post book

Post by pist »

Am just in the middle of trying out the first past the post nummerical reasoning book 1. DD is in major melt-down over the percentage question on the first page. DH has taken over but attempt sounds pretty futile! DD is usually pretty solid in maths but seems to have complete mental block here :shock:
    Has anyone else struggled with this question? Or is dd simply a bit weak in this area ( or hopefully just having a bad day?)
    Bewildered

Re: Percentage question first past post book

Post by Bewildered »

Could you post the question?
    pist

Post by pist »

What percentage of dvd's total running time is special features?
    ( previously we have learnt movie is 2 hours 20 mins + special features of 1 hour 50 mins)
    Simple to you and me but sent dd (yr 6/ 10 yrs)into very vocal 45min meltdown.
    So needed a bit of handholding and was wondering ( hoping) this was a difficult paper.
    parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Yes, I think that "First Past the Post" is slightly difficult compared to Bond & GL but I have also heard people saying the other way round. Don't hung up on one question and you could have parked it to discuss some other day.

It is a fairly standard question on units coupled with percentages.
    Convert into same units before calculating %tage.

special features = 110 mins
    movie = 140 mins
    dvd's total running time = 250

% is 110/250 * 100 = 44%
    mystery

Post by mystery »

Which area has such a late 11 plus?

I can understand that children might get fussed about conversions between fractions, decimals and percentages. They learn it quite late on at our school, and not very thoroughly at all.

Maybe he has just been taught to multiply a fraction by 100 to turn it into a percentage? If so, he might not understand this part of it. My dd hates being told just to do something in arithmetic without understanding why. She is quite right.
    hasmum

Post by hasmum »

I also had to assist with the percentage part of question, my dd is working through this book at her own pace as we are not timing the qs, as even I think it is a much to finish the q's in 15 mins.

We did a key stage 2 maths book together where she got a fairly good understanding ,of most topics, then we started this book but the q's are fairly challenging. They haven't covered some stuff at school at present.

Are you timing the q's from now parent 2013?
    russet

Post by russet »

I just asked dd aged 10 to do the question. Once she got to 110/250 she doubled top and bottom to make 220/500 then divided by 5 to make 44/100.

I wonder if this method would make it clearer for your dd as it comes from someone of about the same age.
    11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now