mymaths - is it a finite resource?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

push-pull-mum

mymaths - is it a finite resource?

Post by push-pull-mum »

DS has a MyMaths login through school and he enjoys working on it because he can keep going back over the same sorts of questions until he gets a really good score (and a smiley face) and it is on the computer - which is always preferable to using a pencil.

We have therefore hit upon a scheme whereby we do an 11 plus Maths topic together and then he can practice it on his MyMaths login. Do you think this will cause problems with the school? I haven't liked to ask since I am already considered a pushy (and delusional) parent for wanting him to take the 11 plus anyway :(
Guest55

Re: mymaths - is it a finite resource?

Post by Guest55 »

I can't see it would be a problem - we encourage our students to use the booster sections so they can self-assess.

I'd be delighted if students were doing extra work!
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Pushy parent ha ha. I would rephrase that as being ambitious. :D

I think as long as you are doing your school stuff of time and not bothering them with challenging questions, they will be alright. Their focus is to bring all 30-40 children to a certain level rather than focussing on any one individual. We used a **** number of sources and it was the variety/complexity that brings the best out of my dc.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:I can't see it would be a problem - we encourage our students to use the booster sections so they can self-assess.

I'd be delighted if students were doing extra work!
Yes, you would think teachers would be delighted but I have encountered primary teachers and headteachers who think that doing any extra from what they happen to set that week is tantamount to child abuse.

Push pull mum, if you think it would help, do it. If it does help continue. If the school moans at you, moan back and continue. You are not asking them to do anything or spend anything so if they don't like it, it is petty.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

mystery wrote: Push pull mum, if you think it would help, do it. If it does help continue. If the school moans at you, moan back and continue. You are not asking them to do anything or spend anything so if they don't like it, it is petty.
Thanks guys - never thought I would end up scared to teach my own child sums but 10 years of experience with primary schools have beaten me into submission :oops:

My main worry is that teacher will try to set some My Maths homework and realise he has already done it.

I have already been told off for using old SATS papers (very old ones indeed inherited from his 16 year old cousin) because they will be "doing them ALL next year" and it will skew their results (doesn't Year 6 sound fun? :) )
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Now here is an even more.."I don't want to be naughty" question.

I have often been tempted to use ds1's my maths sign in, for his brothers, but not done do, as assumed the school would know and it would make his my maths account skewed and ultimately I would get told off. :oops: . Is this the case, or can I use his sign in?
ccl

Post by ccl »

southbucks3 wrote:Now here is an even more.."I don't want to be naughty" question.

I have often been tempted to use ds1's my maths sign in, for his brothers, but not done do, as assumed the school would know and it would make his my maths account skewed and ultimately I would get told off. :oops: . Is this the case, or can I use his sign in?

We've done that a lot I must admit.
To start with only ds2 had received an account, but his 4 brothers were very keen to try, so I guess his teacher (if she ever checked...) must have been surprised with him managing algebraic eq and calculating areas of circles while not getting very good results on his number bonds(!)

I think mymaths is a great resource and I use it a lot for 11+. The kids rarely say 'no'.
mystery

Post by mystery »

push-pull-mum wrote:
mystery wrote: Push pull mum, if you think it would help, do it. If it does help continue. If the school moans at you, moan back and continue. You are not asking them to do anything or spend anything so if they don't like it, it is petty.
Thanks guys - never thought I would end up scared to teach my own child sums but 10 years of experience with primary schools have beaten me into submission :oops:

My main worry is that teacher will try to set some My Maths homework and realise he has already done it.

I have already been told off for using old SATS papers (very old ones indeed inherited from his 16 year old cousin) because they will be "doing them ALL next year" and it will skew their results (doesn't Year 6 sound fun? :) )
6 years of primary school and I have not been beaten into submission. I have just improved my techniques. My children are made to start at the beginning of Schofield and Sims books that are way too easy for mental arithmetic homework. These are books I have paid for. I just announce we are starting towards the end of the book. If this fails, I cut most of the pages out of the book so they have to start towards the end!

I can't solve everything though, but I am sick and tired of being told what not do at home by teachers who are not doing a particularly job with my child. If they were great teachers, and their advice was good, fine, but they're not. These are my children, my homework time, and my problem in the future - not theirs.

Skewing their results --- what a load of ********. The only thing that would skew the results would be if you had the real KS2 papers and gave them to your child in advance.

You know, I think it's the worst teachers who fuss about this kind of thing - they are worried that you'll find out they taught your child nothing. That's the only thing I find out whenever we do something at home that the school would disapprove of. The great teachers we've had are not in the least bothered. They're just pleased that something goes on at home from time to time which will help the child improve.