Any marks given for working out?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Miss Marple

Any marks given for working out?

Post by Miss Marple »

Hello All,

Does anyone know if you are given marks for showing your working out? I come from an era when it was drummed into me to 'show your working out' and have noticed DS make a few minor errors in his calculations, which could make all the difference in the real thing... this is obviously keeping me up at night!
Daogroupie

Re: Any marks given for working out?

Post by Daogroupie »

The mark is for the right answer. It is down to the student how they get there, but if they use working out then they are able to go back and check their work. One of the most common errors is in moving the answer from the working out to the answer box. In my opinion students should always write down their thought processes but it seems that many insist on using mental maths which I think is just asking for silly mistakes. I would encourage your ds to write down all his working out and check and recheck until the last second. DG
motion

Post by motion »

Hi MM,

It depends on the type of Exam format. For multiple choice it obvious that the working out is not rewarded only the correct answer. Some CSSE questions with one mark also insist on the correct answer especially for 1 mark question type and they insist on 1 or 0 no half marks to be awarded.

For most Independents with long math type papers i.e. Habs, MTS marks are awarding for working out.

Regards

Motion
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Motion, What information do you have that tells you that indys award marks for working out? DG
Miss Marple

Post by Miss Marple »

Thank you both for your replies
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now