Schofield & Sims Maths Book - which book to buy

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Re: Schofield & Sims Maths Book - which book to buy

Post by Yamin151 »

No, we did the mental maths series not this one, but looking at it, you can get the whole series for 11.80 so I'd say it was worth the risk of buyinbg them all and working through them, then it doesn't matter which level is which.

http://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/produ ... ing-book-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hi, yes thanks. My DD has been given book 4 in that series (she's in year 6 and was a high level 5 last year). I'm being told that she is being prepared for the level 6 KS2 papers but I can't see how this book for homework, or any of the books and materials that they use in class will be of help. Yesterday she told me that a lesson all about multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000. They seem to use very dull year 6 text books and some bits from BBC Bitesize which although they are labelled KS3 are things I would hope my year 4 daughter would be being taught!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

It doesn't sound like they are stretching her much, does it? I'd be tempted to buy the mental maths ones, if she is a level 5 i'd be looking at book 5 as its challenging, buit more of a mental hop around than book 6 in my opinion, but just the mental maths. Really felt these were good.
As a fun learning thing, can I recommend bigbrainz 'times attack' game? It is free for a fully functioning version, and it operates just like a sort of tombraider platform game, but it's all based on them learning their times tables, a massively useful thing to be able to recall with no hesitation, which this game is entirely geared towards. Have a look! My kids loved it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now