Year 4 struggling with decimals

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Year 4 struggling with decimals

Post by Etienne »

workingmom wrote:Thank you all for your comments.

@mystery - Thanks for the advice on the practical aspect of knowing what happens to numbers when they are converted from say km to m. I think it is useful and a very good way of making the KEY concept stick in their minds. We shall be moving into our new house next month, after your advice, now have plans to involve her in the measurements :) Thanks again.

@yoyo123 - I agree that we should be teaching the child in the same manner as taught in school, as they are so little and it does not take long for them to make their own new rule when they hear teachers and parents having different rules of their own.

Yesterday, I started the basics with her. First revising the conversions without decimals and then later slowing introducing the decimals with conversions. And, thanks to all your support and comments, I was geared up and knew that I needed to go slow and relay the correct concept forward.
Good to know that there has been some useful advice.

We sense that the thread has run its course, so we'll close it now.

If anyone has any new points that would be helpful to workingmom, please let us know by means of a PM to "Moderators" and we can re-open it.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now