Primary maths challenge

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Primary maths challenge

Post by moved »

It's PMC week. 60 of mine took it today across three schools.
How are your DC finding it?
It seemed tough to me this year but maybe I'm tired.
Five or six have possibly made the next round.
I love the fact that in my weakest school they still get their gold, silver, bronze and participation certificates. :)
ConcernedDad

Re: Primary maths challenge

Post by ConcernedDad »

moved wrote:It's PMC week. 60 of mine took it today across three schools.
How are your DC finding it?
It seemed tough to me this year but maybe I'm tired.
Five or six have possibly made the next round.
I love the fact that in my weakest school they still get their gold, silver, bronze and participation certificates. :)
Hi moved,

Do you think it is tougher than last year's PMC (2013)? Last year's had a lot of geometry questions, and it looked very tough.

DD2 took the test this week. Don't know the score as yet, but she got at least two questions wrong :)
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Yes apparently my DD2 did this today - the top 2 sets partook of it. It'll be interesting to see how they all do.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

http://www.m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

from the link:

PMC Newsfeed December 2014
Wow! Didn't they do well!

Over 79 000 pupils in 2035 schools entered the PMC this year. From the scores you returned to us we have been able to select 1184 pupils who scored 21 or more. They will be invited to sit the Bonus paper in February.

Well done to your DCs/ pupils who made it to the bonus round!!
moved

Post by moved »

10% of my pupils made it through, all from inner-city schools. EAL, pupil premium, poorly educated parents.... I saw them for the last time this week. Someone great is taking them on in one school. I'm really proud of them!
Hera

Post by Hera »

I have just been searching the forum to find out more about the maths challenge. DD came home with a medal on Friday; I didn't even know she had done the first round. Never saw the first certificate for getting through, although she claims she got a gold? The school don't seem to make a big thing about it; she was the only one to get a medal and one other child had gone through to the bonus round. Is it the same as the ones they do in secondary schools?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hera - the secondary one is different and run by UKMT.

The Primary one is run by the Maths Association - her name should be on the list of winners:

http://www.m-a.org.uk/pdf/PMC_Bonus_Rou ... t_2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thank you for that Guest55, it is and interesting to have a look at the website too.