text book

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

adhdad

text book

Post by adhdad »

Hi all I was hoping someone may be able to recommend me a maths book/s for ds to do over the summer before he starts yr7 in sept. His currently around the 5b/a level at the moment, any help would be appreciated. thanku
Guest55

Re: text book

Post by Guest55 »

May I suggest that you don't buy a textbook? Few have been updated recently to follow the new NC.

I would suggest looking at NRICH http://www.nrich.maths.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the stage 2 and easier stage 3 problems. Primary schools don't cover much data handling or geometry so those problems would be a good start.

http://www.kangaroomaths.com/kenny3.php?page=KassessKS3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might also find some interesting ideas on the above website.
russet

Post by russet »

You could also have a look on the UKMT website. The past papers for the Junior maths challenge give practice in thinking about how to solve problems, rather than straightforwardly reiterating learnt methods. Their past mentoring questions also give longer problems to think about.

With such high levels in maths, he will more than likely be put in for the JMC by his school next year and not only are these valuable skills to build in maths, it will boost his confidence to do well in the test.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

How about doing some practical maths?

Working out times for a family trip from timetables? deciding on best value for tickets etc. Best route to take? Best mode of transport...Petrol consumption vs speed vs arrival time? Car or public transport?

Catering for a family barbecue and maybe doing some baking? Can you make a picnic for under £x per head?

Games like yahtzee.

Do you need any DIY? How much paint? How many rolls of wallpaper?
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

thanku for your responses, i appreciate all of them.

@guest I couldnt get on with the nrich site to well and gave up, the tests on kangaroo were more what i was looking for and found it much more interesting.

Russet I had a quick look at the ukmt website and seemed a little advanced for my ds, but i will for sure try and get him to tackle more thinking type questions. At the moment Im just trying to fill the gaps and keep his confidence at a good point.

Yoyo the practical stuff in terms of maths is very difficult to do with my ds. Concentration is all over the place during the day with so many diff things going on. Iv found with him quiet room works best. your idea hasnt gone to waste as tried it with my 7 year old and 5 year old dd's and they loved it. I took pleasure in talking maths with them and showering them with praise.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Probably you need the curriculum maps:

KS2 (look at stage 2)
http://nrich.maths.org/8935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KS3
http://nrich.maths.org/8517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Teachers use this site a lot to provide problem solving opportunities.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Given that this activity is essentially for interest rather than because your DS needs to do it, you could look at the extended answer sheets (which also have the questions on them) for the jmc, which explain how to answer the questions and give a few extension examples, rather than 'doing' the paper, if you see what I mean?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
russet

Post by russet »

If you are wanting to "fill in the gaps", you could try looking at the KS2 or even KS3 revision guides in book shops. We used Letts but CPG do similar ones. If you take him along to Waterstones or Smiths and choose together, he is more likely to engage with something he has had a say in. It is important to get the corresponding work books or ones with sample questions included, as children learn more by doing than by being told. An A4 graph paper book to scribble down explanations or more examples as you go through the revision book is also worth getting at the same time.
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

Yesm smiths or waterstones it will be, I will go for a pair coresponding books. The idea of the graph paper for workings etc is such a good one as ds hasnt used it much and will help him get used to it for sept.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would not recommend any KS3 books as they won't be appropriate. The new maths curriculum is about problem solving hence my recommendation of NRICH.

I am a maths teacher and the main issue Year 7s have is applying their knowledge to word problems and open-ended problems; not routine textbook questions.