maths help !!

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tagore

Re: maths help !!

Post by Tagore »

I am with Guest55 on this one. In fact the non-algebraic method is quicker IMHO. This question was put to a Y8 student who is at level 8c in maths. This was the approach :-

The first conclusion drawn from the information provided, is that the number of dogs is a multiple of 4. The multiples of 4 were written down up to 24 . 8 and 20 were identified as those that would leave a remainder of 2 when divided by 3. A quick check discards 8 because that would mean two kennels. 20 dogs works and reflects 6 kennels. QED

It is important to develop a logical way of thinking before embarking on "algebra".

I hope this helps.
Tagore
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

It is important to develop a logical way of thinking before embarking on "algebra".
:D

I second this with both my hats on

primary teacher and graduate chemist
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Guest55, while I totally agree with you about dangers of teaching inappropriate methods, the issue arises because of the tremendous amount of emphasis being put on 11+ process.

In my opinion, you should teach algebra if the child is ready to understand the subject. And don't teach if he/she is not ready.

Btw, I do find it easier to solve the following problem using algebra : Divide $80 among three people so that the second will have twice as much as the first, and the third will have $5 less than the second.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

you should teach algebra if the child is ready to understand the subject
Ah yes but when is a child 'ready'?

That is where you need really good judgement by an expert and, if they can't reason logically, they are not ready.

I don't think you need algebra for the question you quote ..
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Guest55 wrote: That is where you need really good judgement by an expert and…...
It is of course a judgement call.
Guest55 wrote:
I don't think you need algebra for the question you quote ..
Nope. You don't need algebra. But, it is easier with algebra - in my opinion. What do you think?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

As mentioned, depends if child would understand algebra. I think my elder DC would have understood simple way better. DC2 would be comfortable only with algebraic method at this stage.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think it's easier without ... just my opinion.
russet

Post by russet »

All that can really be said is that opinions, as to whether children should use algebra or not on such questions, vary.
nyr

Post by nyr »

My view is that it's probably much easier for a less able child to derive an algebraic solution to the problem given by ConcernedDad. It requires an immediately obvious algebraic modelling followed by basic manipulation. Mechanical! Whereas a non-algebraic solution requires the child to picture in their mind that there are 5 parts and at the same time mentally deal with the dangling $5 from the third person.

FWIW, I think the problem in the opening post is best dealt with non-algebraically. In general, agreeing with russet et al, I think kids should have a variety of tools in their mathematical toolbox so they can select the most appropriate.

nyr
Last edited by nyr on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They don't need algebra in KS2 at all ...