Cgp 10minute tests 10-11 in maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ninanina

Cgp 10minute tests 10-11 in maths

Post by ninanina »

I have been doing the cgp book of 10 minute tests in maths for 10-11 with my ds for a while. He answers most of the questions right if i let him do it in his own speed, focusing on accuracy, but a '10 mińutes test' will then take him an average of 15-18 minutes. If i tell him he has 10 minutes time limit, he hardy ever manages it or rushes and gets 3 or 4 mistakes. Have you done this book with your dcs? Are these tests really doable in 10 min for a child? I myself struggle to do them in the 10 minutes time limit. How can i increase his speed not compromising on accuracy?
Daogroupie

Re: Cgp 10minute tests 10-11 in maths

Post by Daogroupie »

You have to do ten minute tests in ten minutes otherwise there is no point doing them. They are designed to be ten minutes worth of material.

If he can't do them in the time set him a target of managing one more each time. Do not give him extra time, you are not helping him. He has to understand what timed tests means, they do not mean being allowed to go on until you finish.

He will get better, put a large timer in front of him so he understands the concept of ten minutes. There is a countdown timer which goes off very loudly somewhere on the web.

Set a target of 3 mistakes next time and then 2. Time is the most important feature. It is not can you do it but can you do it in the time. Giving him 50% more time is the worst thing you can do as you are not teaching him how to do it. Give him ten minutes and reward him for each one he gets right. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oberoijasleen

Post by oberoijasleen »

Hi Ninanina,

We did all four subjects for my dd. She initially struggled but then was able to do it in the given time. Please dont allow extra time. It will not do any good.

Jas
ninanina

Post by ninanina »

Thanks a lot. I didn't realise time is so important. I though that practicing accuracy can be done first and then working on speed. But you are definitely right. Do you know if this is the speed/time per question that we can expect in CEM?
ninanina

Post by ninanina »

I have just had a look at other books from this series. Is the English 10min tests book relevant for cem? There are comprehensions there but not all the questions are multiple choice, and there are proofreading exercices - is it helpful for cem style exam? thanks for grat advice!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Speed is the number one feature of CEM. Those who can do it but have not been taught to do it in the time will be outcem'd by those who have focused on timing. DG
oberoijasleen

Post by oberoijasleen »

We gave both CEM and GL style papers for different areas. Therefore we did all four books.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

My DS did the CGP10 min tests in the summer before the exam to keep him on his toes over the summer. They were doable in 10 mins, I personally think it is a bit early to start doing things with strict time pressure, it is important to get the basics really sound before you add the added difficulty of strict time pressure. We didn't start really focussing on speed until after Easter
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Do both, I agree, it's a bit early to expect a good result in ten mins. Instead have a timer on and score a line under at ten minutes but let him finish left over questions as quickly as possible too, marking down both results and the total time taken for second result.
He will get better but if you limit his time very strictly now he may just get fed up or worse get into the habit of thinking he only has to do ten mins, whether he has finished or not, also make sure you do the corrections together straight away. There is no greater reward than having more time to play and less time doing maths, so his improvement of accuracy and speed is self rewarding and he will learn that.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I disagree. Don't give him a "result" that is not done in the time as he will simply see that as the result, not the real one done in ten minutes. Go through the answers immediately and go through each one he got wrong and the ones he was not able to get to. Then give him a target of doing one more each time.

There is only one result and that is what he can do in ten minutes just like there will only be one mark and one result in the real exam. I know of parents and tutors who focus on the topics and not the timing and then leave the timing until last. Many end up regretting that decision. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now