Algebra in year 5

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
salsa

Re: Algebra in year 5

Post by salsa »

mumsdarling2 wrote:I am not sure what the schools can choose to cover but we parents felt that they were preparing children based on the old SATs papers.

Balance method worked very well for DS. After a while he didn't need to do the balancing on paper. He was able to rearrange things in the equation mentally and skip a few steps in the written method.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. So far he's enjoying it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

mumsdarling2 wrote: Balance method worked very well for DS. After a while he didn't need to do the balancing on paper. He was able to rearrange things in the equation mentally and skip a few steps in the written method.
Just beware because I've seen countless Year 7s go wrong when the answer is negative or a fraction -
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Guest55 wrote:
mumsdarling2 wrote: Balance method worked very well for DS. After a while he didn't need to do the balancing on paper. He was able to rearrange things in the equation mentally and skip a few steps in the written method.
Just beware because I've seen countless Year 7s go wrong when the answer is negative or a fraction -
Thanks G55. We will make sure that he is careful. But for now, he is free for the rest of year 6.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I hope they aren't stopping doing daily maths!

I've seen some schools do that and the children are very rusty in September and parents wonder why they've gone backwards.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Guest55 wrote:I hope they aren't stopping doing daily maths!

I've seen some schools do that and the children are very rusty in September and parents wonder why they've gone backwards.
Yes, it was all partying after SATS at our primary. School trips, plays, etc. However, they had worked so hard for their SATs that we could hardly blame them. Then the summer. So, rusty he was indeed!

Mind you, the secondary school provided a reading list for the summer with a reward system. I was very surprised that my son was getting homework before he even started secondary school, but the list had some books my son really enjoyed.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now