Junior Maths Olympiad

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nyr

Junior Maths Olympiad

Post by nyr »

DS has qualified for the JMO but, having read the blurb on the UKMT web page, I'm not quite sure how the certificate thresholds work. I have a feeling that I heard or read somewhere that a child has to ace Part A in order to get anything more than a Certificate of Participation. Would anyone know if this is correct or I'm misinfomed?

nyr
Guest55

Re: Junior Maths Olympiad

Post by Guest55 »

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-comp ... -olympiad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Presumably you've read this page? It will vary from year to year and thresholds change each year.

Well done to your DS for getting through :)
nyr

Post by nyr »

Thanks, Guest55.

Yes, that's the page I'd read. It doesn't mention anything about needing to ace Part A and I fully understand that thresholds can vary but I still have a niggling feeling that I heard or read somewhere that they had to get full marks in Part A. I understand that the advice is to spend 45 minutes on Part A and the rest on Part B but if they have to get full marks on Part A then maybe they should make sure that's all correct. Or am I just coming up with complete nonsense here?

nyr
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I am looking at the instructions - it says roughly 30 mins for section A.

It also states ' A good candidate will have done most of section A and given solutions to at least two questions in section B'.

I've checked in the UKMT year book and there are no further details but there is a list of all the medal winners.
nyr

Post by nyr »

That's great. Thanks, Guest55.
htm

Post by htm »

Guest55,

Looking at the past papers, it is not clear to me what the JMO marking scheme is. Would you, by any chance, be able to give me an idea about the marking scheme.

How many marks is each Section A question worth? And how many are each in Section B worth? Is the maximum score for JMO paper 60 or 70?

Thanks
better to be moderate, than be moderated
nyr

Post by nyr »

The maximum is 70.

1 for each Section A question and 10 for each Section B question.
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

When / how do children appear for jmo ? So they prepare for this in primary school ??
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They score highy in the JMC which is usually taken in Year 7/8.

More information here:

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-comp ... challenge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now