Found this great maths book...I reccomend

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: Found this great maths book...I reccomend

Post by BucksBornNBred »

If you have any links to convince me that gridding is helpful then feel free to share them, G55 - I am always open to learning new ways as long as they aren't a slower way to achieve the same result. Maybe it doesn't help that the teachers were young and couldn't explain how to do decimals using this method; maybe because I don't think it improves on traditional methods.

And thanks Russet - I hadn't realised I could bypass the login screen and just click on the links at the top of the page
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Grid multiplication is actually quicker and less error prone than the traditional method -

Here is one link I found quickly [ie it is not necessarily the best] for polynomial division:

http://www.mathrecreation.com/2009/03/d ... ethod.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you aren't given a factor you use the factor theorem to get the first - you'd need to do this in the traditional way too.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Grid is not quicker for simple multiplication if you know your times tables. Thanks for the link - will look at it in detail tomorrow, but I am liking the Sudoko reference as I love doing those to calm my mind :-)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Grid is quicker than long multiplication ... I have proved it time and time again.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

In my opinion... grid is quicker than written method for small multiplications such as 2 digit by 2 digit. Larger multiplications, say 4 digit by 4 digit then written method will be faster.

Grid is a great method - it supports the idea of partitioning. It is easy to explain why it works (try explaining why written method works to a 10y/o). It helps with mental arithmetic. It is simpler and therefore cuts down on errors. That said my oldest used written (school introduced it in Y5, I think) and was very accurate so I didn't tinker.

Most of us on here will be too old to have been taught the grid method, so it does look alien at first.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I think we will have to agree to differ at the moment, as grid just introduces more pen strokes thus making it longer to write down. You still have to know your times tables to do it. I have only compared grid and traditional for a x b calculations and I still have to check G55's link to see if I can be convinced about its usefulness at higher levels, so my mind may be changed :-) . As for visualising, well if I am in a shop and need to do some quick calculation I visualise the 'old fashioned' short multiplication in my mind and usually get the right answer.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Tell me you don't work right to left and visualise the carry BucksBornNBred :)

But, yes I agree, horses for courses.

My DD1 was a written method girl through and through. DD2 is a grid method girl. Contrary to what I expected, as DD2 is the more "natural" mathematician. I didn't encourage grid method with DD1 and I won't be attempting to move DD2 onto the written method.

For the purpose of the 11+ both are fine in my book. It's all about getting the correct answer at the end of the day. Guest55 has to teach beyond the test though, so no surprise she prefers grid. In fact I'm relieved she does.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

'fraid I do, but it works for me (though not sure I actually visualise the carry) ;-) I just don't feel grid helps with simple maths when you need an answer quickly - when I compare both methods then the old way is the quicker. But, as I say, I have still to look at G55's link to find out more :-) For speed in 11+ I would prefer not to use gridding as I think it is time consuming.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You have practised traditional multiplication for many years - try practising grid for a fraction of that time and the speed increases dramatically.

I have tested the speed with many groups over many years .. grid is faster and more children complete the question successfully.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I teach maths in primary as intervention, mastery and 1:1 support. I love the grid method, it really makes the children think about what they are actually doing, it encourages a feel for number and it is easy for them to spot where they have made mistakes. It leads naturally into algebraic expressions you see exactly what you are doing with a(a-b)

I am a child of the sixties, I did maths by rote at school. Despite studying maths and maths-based subjects to degree level, I only really fell in love with it when I started teaching. I had to learn chunking and grid methods and they felt uncomfortable, but now I find they really help children understand. A single formal method is a retrograde step imo. The gains made in the past towards UNDERSTANDING have helped so many pupils. Parents have often said that they wish they had learnt maths this way. They can understand now and it doesn't frighten them.