Found this great maths book...I reccomend

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MimiTa

Re: Found this great maths book...I reccomend

Post by MimiTa »

yoyo123 wrote:I teach maths in primary as intervention, mastery and 1:1 support. I love the grid method, it really makes the children think about what they are actually doing, it encourages a feel for number and it is easy for them to spot where they have made mistakes. It leads naturally into algebraic expressions you see exactly what you are doing with a(a-b)

I am a child of the sixties, I did maths by rote at school. Despite studying maths and maths-based subjects to degree level, I only really fell in love with it when I started teaching. I had to learn chunking and grid methods and they felt uncomfortable, but now I find they really help children understand. A single formal method is a retrograde step imo. The gains made in the past towards UNDERSTANDING have helped so many pupils. Parents have often said that they wish they had learnt maths this way. They can understand now and it doesn't frighten them.
Do you,by any chance,know of any websites where I can get more samples of problems for Accuracy categories with SFs (categories 1,2 and 3) and how to find a category of a given number (tell what category it belongs to)? I understand it is a common 11+ question yet I have hardly come across any samples for my DD to practice,not even on Youtube.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm not sure what you mean by what category a number belongs to?
MimiTa

Post by MimiTa »

yoyo123 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by what category a number belongs to?

Accuracy categories 1.casual measurements, 2SF
2. important or technical things (3SF)
3.really scientific work (3 or more SF)

I need questions with these.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is not really an 11+ topic.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have not come across that in KS2 either a question may ask to round to 2 decimal places but not ask what category a number is in. What papers/preparation material have you seen this type of question in?
MimiTa

Post by MimiTa »

yoyo123 wrote:I have not come across that in KS2 either a question may ask to round to 2 decimal places but not ask what category a number is in. What papers/preparation material have you seen this type of question in?
I wrote it down from somewhere (libraries,bookshops...?) a year ago,but cannot remember from where.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:Grid multiplication is actually quicker and less error prone than the traditional method -

Here is one link I found quickly [ie it is not necessarily the best] for polynomial division:

http://www.mathrecreation.com/2009/03/d ... ethod.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you aren't given a factor you use the factor theorem to get the first - you'd need to do this in the traditional way too.
Just looked through this and I can absolutely agree with what you are saying (though my polynomials are pretty rusty!) Not sure I have totally got my head around the division part of the document but fully accept that the multiplication is quick and simple. So you can teach an old dog new tricks :lol: Thank you G55 for showing me this :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I understand it is a common 11+ question
I don't think it is!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now