Maths paper with a ruler

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Northdad

Maths paper with a ruler

Post by Northdad »

My DD is sitting Round 2 at HBS on Wednesday. Apparently she needs to bring a ruler. What kind of questions require a ruler, other than simply being able to measure the length of a line?
Enjoyingthejourney

Re: Maths paper with a ruler

Post by Enjoyingthejourney »

Not sure, Northdad. Maybe perimeter based or even map scales for the conversion type questions. Questions where measuring the line is the first step of a multi-step problem.
I wish her all the best for her test. Have they asked for rulers in tests in the past? Sorry, I am not familiar with the HBS test.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Reading bar charts?
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Enjoyingthejourney wrote:Not sure, Northdad. Maybe perimeter based or even map scales for the conversion type questions. Questions where measuring the line is the first step of a multi-step problem.
I wish her all the best for her test. Have they asked for rulers in tests in the past? Sorry, I am not familiar with the HBS test.
Thanks for the suggestions enjoythejourney and Ladymuck. I've no idea whether this is the first time they've asked to bring rulers as there are no past papers.

Does anyone else know?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A ruler is a standard piece of kit - it does not necessarily mean there is a question requiring its use.

You can use one to join points, draw a shape, show lines of symmetry, help with reflection, ....

Look at a KS2 paper for ideas or other exams.