Slightly strange question.

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sparklecat

Slightly strange question.

Post by Sparklecat »

Hello. We are doing the Kent Test later this year and are working from Letts 11+ Maths Success for age 10-11. We need 55% to pass and are currently getting 90%+ and doing it in a third of the time allowed. Might sound like a strange thing to worry about, but should we now work to a higher level or stick with what we are likely to get in the exam? Thanks for any comments or advice.
Mehere

Re: Slightly strange question.

Post by Mehere »

My DC did the Kent test 2 years ago. We never used the Letts Maths books so can't comment on their level but it sounds like you are doing well.

Before deciding if you should move to a higher level in maths you might want to think about trying a different book (we found CGP good) to give exposure to different ways of asking questions. Also think about trying the GL Maths papers, there are 8 of them. I know some people try to keep these assessment papers until nearer the exam but as there are 32 of them (8 each for VR, NVR, Maths and English) it is a lot to fit in (if you want to do them all) and they are all relevant for Kent. We did one or two (untimed) in the February half term and I thought it was far to early - but it wasn't - we didn't want to spend all summer doing papers! The Kent test sometimes gives you less than one minute per maths question (less than what the GL papers suggest) but you won't know how many questions you will get until you are in the test.

If you find you are still doing well in Maths then you can concentrate on other areas (but keep coming back to maths) as you also need a pass in Reasoning and English.

Hope it keeps going well.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Absolutely spot on! I would do the GL papers as they are the ones who set the test. You can do some now, save them and do them again near the date.

Moreover, do remember that there is Spatial Reasoning, for which GL do not publish materials. We used the CGP books for this.

Salsa
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Thanks for your replies.

We started the year off with a GL mock test to see her base line and got a pass. We will be doing three more and a proper mock test with an academy to monitor progress.

We do a couple of Letts tests a week to reinforce group tuition. Ironically, the Letts maths book is quite good as it has 24 exercises. VR (her weakest subject) has 18, NVR (her firm favourite) has just 6, and the English book has 10 comprehensions.

So on the non-maths subjects we are already having to look around for new materials relevant to the Kent Test. Strange that Letts should have such varying quantities of material in their different books.

So any more suggestions very welcome.