Algebra question

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Re: Algebra question

Post by yoyo123 »

Can I throw in that Target Your Maths calls it Bomdas?

I'll get me coat....
timothylewin

Post by timothylewin »

last time I looked this was not TES web site... :lol: :lol: :lol:

advice is free and open to all. Poster asked for the solution for D, I gave the solution for D. QED.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

timothylewin wrote:last time I looked this was not TES web site... :lol: :lol: :lol:

advice is free and open to all. Poster asked for the solution for D, I gave the solution for D. QED.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/qed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

States that QED is appropriate for a PROOF which is not what you have done. Please don't use it inappropriately as it looks like showing off, which I'm very sure you wouldn't want to be accused of.

Actually I don't post on TES but on maths forums [fora if you prefer], where I do post, it is regarded as good practice not to give full solutions. The OP asked for help which is what was given - the issue was dealing with the fractions in the equation not the final solution steps.

Solving a complete question for someone does not help them next time they see a similar question.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Hi, sorry but I'm a bit confused by this one and the solutions.

The equation posted by the OP was:

(D+7/3)+ 4=- 5d/4

So according to BODMAS (or BIDMAS if you prefer :D ) the brackets are basically unnecessary aren't they?

i.e. Isn't this just the same as D + 7/3 + 4 = -5d/4

But people seem to have treated it as (D + 7)/3 + 4 = -5d/4

Also is it correct to assume that 'D' and 'd' represent the same thing? (or is that just a typo?)

Apologies if I'm being dense!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I did assume D and d were the same variable and the 'answer' [solution] D = -4 only works if the brackets are where I took them to be. It is difficult to post algebraic terms containing powers or fractions on here; these issues are no so frequent elsewhere where people use LaTex.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Guest55 wrote:I did assume D and d were the same variable and the 'answer' [solution] D = -4 only works if the brackets are where I took them to be. It is difficult to post algebraic terms containing powers or fractions on here; these issues are no so frequent elsewhere where people use LaTex.
Ah OK, that makes sense.

The second part of the OP's post where they re-typed the equation in a different form "to make it clearer" just looked complete nonsense to me but maybe that was just my internet browser or something?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think the OP tried to put spaces or tab and that doesn't work at all on here. Hence my hesitancy in my hint ...
timothylewin

Post by timothylewin »

yea, the D and d are the same here, just a typo, this is what I assumed as part of the answer I gave.

QEd
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now