maths question

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

RedPanda

Re: maths question

Post by RedPanda »

pmt wrote:When you have 2(2+1), this means the expression was 4+2 inside the bracket, and one of the factors 2 is common and taken outside the bracket. When you solve for a bracket, you have to solve 2(2+1) in its entirety and not just the 2+1 which is inside the bracket. Answer should be 1 and not 9
Given this is 11+ then I suspect the author intended for straightforward BIDMAS to be used. Solve the bracket first. What you have above is not taught at KS2.

To be honest, I think surferfish nailed it when suggesting this isn't an 11+ question.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Not an 11plus question ..... sorry! Yes, it's like that thing which is going round on social media at the moment where lots of people debate 9 or 1. But when I say debate, they are usually pretty rude about the people who give the answer they don't agree with.

This forum is much nicer.

G55, what do you think?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If written

-------
2(2+1)

as pmt says then it's 1.

If the denominator is 2(2+1) then that has to be calculated first - I've not responded earlier because I'm not clear how the question is written.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:If written

-------
2(2+1)

as pmt says then it's 1.

If the denominator is 2(2+1) then that has to be calculated first - I've not responded earlier because I'm not clear how the question is written.
mystery wrote:What's the answer to 6 div 2(2+1) ?

div = division sign - the type with a short line with a dot above and below it, sorry not got one on this keyboard
6÷2(2+1)?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes. How you have written it toad mum was the one I saw n Facebook which I would work out as being 1.but people were arguing about that.

But the answer was being portrayed as it being the same as 6 div 2 x 3. (Sorry I have no div sign) and that 6 div 2 x 3 equals 9. And people were arguing about that too.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mystery wrote:Yes. How you have written it toad mum was the one I saw n Facebook which I would work out as being 1.but people were arguing about that.

But the answer was being portrayed as it being the same as 6 div 2 x 3. (Sorry I have no div sign) and that 6 div 2 x 3 equals 9. And people were arguing about that too.
Tbh I wouldn't take too much notice of 'answers' to maths questions on Facebook :lol: .

The 'burger, fries, drinks' one is a case in point...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: Burgers, fries, drinks --- you've got me interested in whatever that is now!!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mystery wrote::lol: Burgers, fries, drinks --- you've got me interested in whatever that is now!!!

Okay, I may have the value of the burgers and the fries mixed up, but it goes something like (in pictures)

Burger + Burger + Burger = 30
Burger + Drink + Drink. = 20
Drink + Two packs of fries + Two packs of fries = 9

So what is

Drink + One pack of fries × Burger?

(You have to visualise the 'Two packs of fries' being presented as one pack more or less immediately in front of the other, but you can tell that there are two).

Favourite answer from Joe Public is 70.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

B+B+B=30 so B=10
B+D+D=20 so D=5
D+FFFF=9 so F=1

D+FxB=?

So BIDMAS would have you do the FxB first, yes? So that would be 1x10=10.
Then you add D - so 10+D=15.

If you're doing it left to right you'd do 5+1=6, then 6x10=60.

Either way, not 70.

I will never understand maths.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Working left to right is never correct in a maths lesson :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now