Thoughts on Kumon?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
piggys

Re: Thoughts on Kumon?

Post by piggys »

Kumon is a rip off and a waste of people's time. Yes, it may help with speed, but essentially it won't really help people to grasp HOW to work out maths problems.

I am stunned at the number of people round my way who send their dc to kumon.

DG is right - a lot of parents really aren't interested and just throw money in the direction of anyone they think will further their dc's chances of a grammar. And yes, a, lot of parents really just cba.
Drmamma77

Post by Drmamma77 »

I am glad that DG and Piggys do appreciate that it's not all parents that throw money at the tutors (or not tutors)

I agree that Kumon helps with speed and not word problem solving .Some family situations are such that a structured form of tutoring or homework helps rather than nothing at all.e.g one parent away a lot ,the other runs everything and does a 9-5.

I just feel ,reading through the comments ,that people have different reasons for doing different things .I just love that we all want the kids to succeed or learn that
hardwork and consistency all play a part in success.

Cheers
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are other FREE ways to increase speed; for example, many games on the internet.

PLEASE avoid Kumon - you are wasting your money.
Drmamma77

Post by Drmamma77 »

I dont have kids in Kumon .

Thanks, Guest55
parentoftwo

Post by parentoftwo »

a big NO to kumon.
DS1 did perfectly fine without it. DS2 is a little slow, lacks concentration and is not serious when it comes to learning..so I enrolled him for Kumon classes in year 2. He got bored doing the same 15 + 5 type problems everyday in the sheets. Total waste of money and time. We dragged for some 6 months before stopping as it wasn't going anywhere. And kids who fair well at kumon will fair well even without it frankly.

I noticed one thing, it may be good for younger years like age 4/5 to get the kids in a routine of daily learning. But i found Schofield and Sims a good option for that.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

There are some absolutely brilliant games for free online, play bingo, pairs games with question and answers. Scour charity shops for games. A set of dominoes or a pack of playing cards will give you endless opportunities to practice the basics, wit( a bit of ingenuity or a quick google.

If you want to fork out a bit more, you can buy fantastic dice, 20 sided, dice with operations on, blank dice to write what you need on, place value dice. I am a bit of a dice fanatic as my pupils will, no doubt, tell you. I also have a neat set of foam dice with pockets on the faces, endless opportunities.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now