Maths Q help please

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Droftaw

Re: Maths Q help please

Post by Droftaw »

Odds are expressed as a fraction. Odds greater than evens are a top heavy fraction. Odds less than even are also a fraction.

£1 on a 7/2 horse would return a win of £3.50. (Plus the stake of £1 being returned)

With the sophistication of modern bookies, many are moving to decimal odds in some markets.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They are not written as fractions from what I've seem - the numerator is not written upon the denominator.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Guest55 wrote:They are not written as fractions from what I've seem - the numerator is not written upon the denominator.
Well if we're going to be strict about it, neither are they in the original question which was first posted.
Q. Arrange these in ascending order

2/6, 1/5, 2/7, 1/4
In fact the question makes no mention of the word 'fraction'. They could be bookies odds for all we know!
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

Hi All,

Thank you for all your responses.

The 1/3.5 would not have been accepted at school as they need to show their working out/the method and my DD just told me “that’s not a fraction”.

The LCM is what threw the children ( inc my child) They had 10 questions to arrange and had no problems with the others. Finding the LCM of those was easier.

They would of not changed the numerator as its never been shown as a method to them. Looks like the method can be used but it’s not what the teachers are after.

So I guess, what it boils down to, is finding a quicker method of finding out the LCM of multiple numbers that may be in large numbers.

The teacher did say that this was a hard one.

Any quick tips for finding the LCM of multiple numbers. She hasn’t struggled with the others, just this one due to its large LCM.

I understand there may be other methods to get to the correct answer quickly, however, this a KS2 q for yr6 children and has to be approached in that manner, also, they need to show how they got to the answer, she knows what to do so I don’t want to confuse her correct method, just need to help her with finding larger LCM’s.

Thank you
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's because this website does not allow fractions to be written properly ... if you look in textbooks or at exam papers they are written in the correct format. Betting odds aren't ...
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

Surferfish wrote:
Guest55 wrote:They are not written as fractions from what I've seem - the numerator is not written upon the denominator.
Well if we're going to be strict about it, neither are they in the original question which was first posted.
Q. Arrange these in ascending order

2/6, 1/5, 2/7, 1/4
In fact the question makes no mention of the word 'fraction'. They could be bookies odds for all we know!

Definitely fractions, apologies for not stating this clearly !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

[quote="PoppyPup"I understand there may be other methods to get to the correct answer quickly, however, this a KS2 q for yr6 children and has to be approached in that manner, also, they need to show how they got to the answer, she knows what to do so I don’t want to confuse her correct method, just need to help her with finding larger LCM’s.[/quote]
Sorry the teacher is wrong you do not have to change ALL the fractions into the same denominator; that is never required at KS2 or GCSE. If you look at what I posted three of them are obvious without changing them. Only 2/7 would need to be considered with one or two others.

Large LCMs are not needed at Primary.
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

Ok, thanks Guest55,

Yes, I do see that 3 of the fractions are easy to order but in their books they have used the method of finding the LCM, changing the fractions appropriately and then ordering them.

As this one was a larger LCM perhaps it was a odd one.

Thank you all for your replies.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Just because the book shows that method does not mean you have to do it all the time. I assure you that it is not always required if you explain why in other ways.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Guest55 wrote:Sorry the teacher is wrong you do not have to change ALL the fractions into the same denominator; that is never required at KS2 or GCSE.
I've a feeling I'm going to regret this :)

The KS2 NC is geared up towards equivalent fractions. I'd suggest the approach the teacher took is compatible with this.

I have a problem with the question but that is a different matter.