Recommended books for word problems

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Recommended books for word problems

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry that is incorrect - unless it is based on the new Primary NC it is not worth it. The approach also changed in that document so I cannot agree with you.

Maths does change ...
MSD

Post by MSD »

If you carefully read OP's original post, it asks for recommendations on any useful word problem Maths books for young children. And, for our children, we found them to be very useful, and at that young age I was least concerned about NC. We were more interested in focusing on the fundamental Maths concepts and any books that helped us in reinforcing those were good enough for us.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is no point in using a resource that does not link with what they are learning in school. It is very important that maths resources complement learning and do not give another approach or confuse.
MSD

Post by MSD »

I shall bow out of this discussion G55 as all these comments are not adding any value to OP's original query. OP simply requested if they can have recommendations on useful word problem books for Maths and I did exactly that. I would hate for this thread to be locked down by us digressing and OP not able to gain valuable recommendations.

What I would recommend to OP, and in a personal capacity, that we never were so keen and aware of NC, especially at that young age. Our primary focus was for our children to clearly understand and build on fundamental mathematical principles at that tender age and be able to confidently apply those concepts to any real-world problems. If it is any assurance, both my boys heavily used Schofield and Sims sets and did pretty well in SATS as well as their 11+ exams.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes but the recent changes were since your sons were at Primary school so things you used them are not so relevant now.

I would strongly urge the OP to use resources suggested by experienced teachers.
MSD

Post by MSD »

These books come highly recommended by qualified teachers and used in many schools as one of the key resources for KS1 and KS2 Maths curriculum. I have provided some links below.

https://www.teachprimary.com/tried_and_ ... field-sims" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ststephensjuniorschool.co.uk ... ulum/maths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.benyonprimary.co.uk/117/curriculum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.quarryhillacademy.org.uk/69/curriculum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by MSD on Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry - these are not used in any of the 150+ Primary schools I know. Bucks KS2 results are some the top in the country.

The book you link to is not even a problem solving book - it's about calculation.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Guest55 wrote:Sorry - these are not used in any of the 150+ Primary schools I know. Bucks KS2 results are some the top in the country.

There s absolutely no need to use a textbook in Primary.
They are surely then missing out on a good Maths 'problem solving' resource that many experienced teachers and schools across the country find useful.

Here are some of the words on this forum from a very experienced Maths teacher, fm.

"I have seen posts which imply the Bond books are the business but, frankly, while I do use these, I have slid over to a great variety of other work by June or July (note: for exam in Nov) with the vast majority of my pupils, and much of this is either written by me or adapted from other sources or taken from obsolete books. In fact, the children this year claimed the best maths practice came from Schofield and Sims Progress Papers"
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Enough of the bickering.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now