11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MSD

Re: Divide decimal numbers with whole numbers

Post by MSD »

haniya11plus wrote:
MSD wrote:
haniya11plus wrote:Not 5 years old
Year 5 child (10years) old
I vaguely remember us doing S & S book 4 around this time and then moving on to Book 5 by February. Is your child planning to do Book 6?

Book 6 extends beyond the KS2 curriculum, reinforcing KS2 areas, and also introduces more advanced concepts. Both my boys managed to cover most of it and found it pretty useful for the actual CEM test
she is on test 8 at the moment, hopefully, start book 5 around FEB time.
ermmm about book 6 really not sure at the moment
OK - it's worth a look if she gets a chance. And also remember time is of essence in these 11+ CEM tests. Teach the method that child understands easily, but also saves some time by cutting down on redundant steps
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

MSD wrote: I remember in 2015, our state primary, sent a request for my son to sit Level 6 Maths SATs test, when he was in Year 5. As I understand government scrapped level 6 tests from May 2016 onwards, so they possibly wanted a few level 6's on their books before they disappeared, or, maybe, just wanted to give my son a taster of level 6.
The new curriculum come in before that ... and your son's result would not have counted anyway.
It was actually never a proper level 6 [very structured questions which took the level 6-ness out of the context] and the new test includes all 'levels' now.
haniya11plus

Post by haniya11plus »

OK - it's worth a look if she gets a chance. And also remember time is of the essence in these 11+ CEM tests. Teach the method that child understands easily, but also saves some time by cutting down on redundant steps[/quote][/quote]

Exactly what I was just thinking,
as she doesn't do long division method and just do a bus stop methods with some mental subtraction and carry numbers
whether I do proper subtraction, then carry

which is best for her, As she sometimes gets her answer wrong in her method but saves time definitely
haniya11plus

Post by haniya11plus »

Thanks a lot

hermanmunster
KCG
Toadmum
Guest55
MSD
---------------------
Appreciated
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's worth looking in the regions section - MSD is based in Birmingham I think so it is a different test and I'm in Bucks so again a different test but right maths information.

Long division wasn't need here - it's a case of picking the quickest approach which is rarely long division.
Last edited by Guest55 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haniya11plus

Post by haniya11plus »

Ok Thank you
MSD

Post by MSD »

Guest55 wrote:
MSD wrote: I remember in 2015, our state primary, sent a request for my son to sit Level 6 Maths SATs test, when he was in Year 5. As I understand government scrapped level 6 tests from May 2016 onwards, so they possibly wanted a few level 6's on their books before they disappeared, or, maybe, just wanted to give my son a taster of level 6.
The new curriculum come in before that ... and your son's result would not have counted anyway.
It was actually never a proper level 6 [very structured questions which took the level 6-ness out of the context] and the new test includes all 'levels' now.
Sorry, you might have missed the point. I was stating that as of May 2016, level 6 tests were scrapped and that might be the reason behind his school wanting him to sit a year early as he otherwise would not have had the opportunity. And I was clearly told by the Head teacher at that time his level 6 achievement did count towards the performance of the school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

MSD wrote:Sorry, you might have missed the point. I was stating that as of May 2016, level 6 tests were scrapped and that might be the reason behind his school wanting him to sit a year early as he otherwise would not have had the opportunity. And I was clearly told by the Head teacher at that time his level 6 achievement did count towards the performance of the school.
They were not 'scrapped' - the new tests linked to the new curriculum came in.

You have to be in Year 6 to be registered for the KS2 tests so whatever the Head told you was not true. They might have added them to their 'own' results but would not be in official results.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Some educational sites seem to be using word 'discontinued' instead of 'scrapped'.

"As of 2016, Level 6 SATs – additional tests that were taken by highly able children – were discontinued as a result of the overhaul of the National Curriculum and the SATs system."

https://www.theschoolrun.com/level-6-sats-explained" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The level 6 is contained within the new Primary curriculum tests - so there are now three tests and not separate ones for 'level 6'. Didn't your son sit the new tests and get a standardised score instead of a level?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now