Post by haniya11plus »

CEM format
Its not GL
anotherdad

Re: Improper fractions in order

Post by anotherdad »

haniya11plus wrote:CEM format
Its not GL
Yes, I know. I still can't see where it is stated that mixed and improper fractions are included. I'm happy to be corrected if you have the appropriate link and I'm sure it will help others in your situation. The only places I can find that mention those types of problems are tuition companies selling courses or papers and they have a vested interest in "teaching ahead".
haniya11plus

Post by haniya11plus »

Maths: Fractions for 11 Plus entrance exams

Basic calculations with fractions, finding a fraction of a quantity, fraction of unknown quantity, fraction between two other fractions, fractions to decimals, fractions to percentages.

Equivalent fractions
Simplify fractions by cancelling down
Reading fractional scales
Arrange fractions in order.
Addition of fractions with different denominators
Subtraction of fractions with different denominators
Multiplication of fractions
Division of fractions
Finding a fraction of a quantity
Fraction of an unknown amount (Fraction of unknown amount VIDEO)
Fraction of a fraction of a quantity
Convert fractions to decimals (Fractions to decimals VIDEO)
Convert fractions to percentages (Fractions to percentages VIDEO) – Coming Soon!
Convert improper fractions to mixed numbers
Find a fraction halfway between two other fractions
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Thanks. Where's that from?
haniya11plus

Post by haniya11plus »

anotherdad wrote:Hi Haniya

Are you really getting good value from your tutor? This is the third(?) maths question you've asked for help on recently and if I recall from the others, it seems that you have a tutor that is blindly dishing out tests/worksheets for your daughter without understanding her capability rather than understanding what she's covered in school and complementing it.

My advice is the same as it's been in the other threads: Wait until your daughter has covered the topic in school. You risk undermining her teachers and her learning by continually trying to teach ahead. I'm sure there are lots of people on here who can help with these problems but I really don't think it's helping your daughter in the long term. Getting mathematical technique advice from strangers on the internet is no better than paying a tutor to undermine your daughter's schooling.

Like I said she already knew the topic, must have done in year 4 or year 5.
I looked at her homework and thought these are tricky questions ,better get some help before she comes back from school.
But she didn't need help.
So what's the harm in learning new skills,

I don't get your point?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

haniya11plus wrote:Maths: Fractions for 11 Plus entrance exams

Basic calculations with fractions, finding a fraction of a quantity, fraction of unknown quantity, fraction between two other fractions, fractions to decimals, fractions to percentages.

Equivalent fractions
Simplify fractions by cancelling down
Reading fractional scales
Arrange fractions in order.
Addition of fractions with different denominators
Subtraction of fractions with different denominators
Multiplication of fractions
Division of fractions
Finding a fraction of a quantity
Fraction of an unknown amount (Fraction of unknown amount VIDEO)
Fraction of a fraction of a quantity
Convert fractions to decimals (Fractions to decimals VIDEO)
Convert fractions to percentages (Fractions to percentages VIDEO) – Coming Soon!
Convert improper fractions to mixed numbers
Find a fraction halfway between two other fractions
Anotherdad,
Clearly this is not from the actual school, hence the “coming soon”. So I think you are flogging a dead horse here..
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

haniya11plus, my point is not specifically aimed at you. The point I began with which you've quoted above and the reason for probing further is to establish - for the benefit of others in your area - whether or not topics like this are needed for eleven plus preparation. I am concerned that people are paying money to tutors or tuition companies which have a vested interest in ramping up expectations of topic coverage and level. In addition to that, I am concerned that some of these are just pumping out practice tests without heeding where the child is in terms of existing capability or teaching they've had at school, hence my original advice to wait until the topic has been covered at school. Your recent questions on maths seem to prove that point because you're asking for help with topics that a decent tutor should be covering (if they are needed at all, of course).

You've listed topics under "Maths: Fractions for 11 Plus entrance exams" and I'm interested in where that list came from. I've been unable to find anything to confirm that the topic in question is necessary. You've noted that one school uses CEM testing - fine - but I haven't been able to find a definitive list of what maths topics are covered, other than lists from tuition companies.
Last edited by anotherdad on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

stroudydad wrote:Anotherdad,
Clearly this is not from the actual school, hence the “coming soon”. So I think you are flogging a dead horse here..
Indeed. Perhaps I'll put the magic lamp back in the cave :wink: .

*rubrubrub*

"You have three 11+ topics to question me on. Command me, master!*"

*12 months available for £120, saving £48 on the monthly rate
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

:lol:
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

haniya11plus wrote:So what's the harm in learning new skills
Nothing wrong with that, of course. If you are going down that road, just be careful that you don't get too far ahead. The primary curriculum is structured so that the pre-requisite skills needed for future topics are covered earlier in the curriculum.

The Y6 book you are using is for Y6 pupils who will have completed all the Y5 maths topics and are somewhere down the Y6 teaching. It may cover content that the 11+ in your area doesn't include. I'd be surprised if the question you posted was on the test for our area. I think most 11+ exams only go up to end of Y5. So if your aim is solely 11+ prep, then it is worth heeding Guest's advice and checking that out.

Good luck.