11 Plus Exams Forum
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/

Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58268
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Sulikhan [ Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help

Hi all
this is the question

A bottle contains 150ml juice.Alex drinks 50%more thank Jane and these two friends finish the bottle between them.Calculate how much Alex drinks.I am struggling with this one.in the mark scheme it shows ratio
3:2 .I don't know how that can work.Any help pls

Many thanks

Author:  ToadMum [ Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help

Sulikhan wrote:
Hi all
this is the question

A bottle contains 150ml juice.Alex drinks 50%more thank Jane and these two friends finish the bottle between them.Calculate how much Alex drinks.I am struggling with this one.in the mark scheme it shows ratio
3:2 .I don't know how that can work.Any help pls

Many thanks


Alex drinks half as much again as Jane. So if Jane drinks one unit, Alex drinks one and a half units. Or, to turn Alex's share into whole units, if Jane drinks 2 units, Alex drinks three.

So you have a total of 5 units - divide 150 by 5...? then turn the 3 portions / 2 portions into actual amounts...?

Author:  Sulikhan [ Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help

ToadMum wrote:
Sulikhan wrote:
Hi all
this is the question

A bottle contains 150ml juice.Alex drinks 50%more thank Jane and these two friends finish the bottle between them.Calculate how much Alex drinks.I am struggling with this one.in the mark scheme it shows ratio
3:2 .I don't know how that can work.Any help pls

Many thanks


Alex drinks half as much again as Jane. So if Jane drinks one unit, Alex drinks one and a half units. Or, to turn Alex's share into whole units, if Jane drinks 2 units, Alex drinks three.

So you have a total of 5 units - divide 150 by 5...? then turn the 3 portions / 2 portions into actual amounts...?




hi again

many thanks for the reply.i'm not quite sure how forums work as it's first time doing it.

thanks again
but what about the other 2 friends who have finished it????

Author:  ToadMum [ Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help

Sulikhan wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
Sulikhan wrote:
Hi all
this is the question

A bottle contains 150ml juice.Alex drinks 50%more thank Jane and these two friends finish the bottle between them.Calculate how much Alex drinks.I am struggling with this one.in the mark scheme it shows ratio
3:2 .I don't know how that can work.Any help pls

Many thanks


Alex drinks half as much again as Jane. So if Jane drinks one unit, Alex drinks one and a half units. Or, to turn Alex's share into whole units, if Jane drinks 2 units, Alex drinks three.

So you have a total of 5 units - divide 150 by 5...? then turn the 3 portions / 2 portions into actual amounts...?




hi again

many thanks for the reply.i'm not quite sure how forums work as it's first time doing it.

thanks again
but what about the other 2 friends who have finished it????


Um...

Assuming that's actually a genuine question, these two friends are Alex and Jane? i.e. the two people who have just been named.

Author:  Yes [ Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help

By the way... Reading the questions for the first time,I had the same question - who are these two other friends who finished the bottle.... :lol:

As for the solution - diagram, as usual, is our friend.
Draw Jane's glass as two squares, then Alex' glass will be 3 squares. Here is the ratio from the answer

Author:  gg234 [ Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help

If i do in algebra

Jane = x

Alex = x+x/2 = 3x/2

Total = 150ml

3x/2 +x =150

If i simplify my equation x=60

So alex one is 3x/2 = 90ml

I hope this will help

Author:  Sulikhan [ Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help

gg234 wrote:
If i do in algebra

Jane = x

Alex = x+x/2 = 3x/2

Total = 150ml

3x/2 +x =150

If i simplify my equation x=60

So alex one is 3x/2 = 90ml


hi

thank u very much. it really helped

I hope this will help

Author:  yoyo123 [ Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help

I would definitely draw a diagram to work this sort of question out. KS2 children would not be expected to go straight to algebra and the diagram really helps understanding of the question.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/